Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Whos chickens are still laying?  (Read 28655 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: Whos chickens are still laying?
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2013, 05:16:22 pm »
still getting about 3-4 a day from our 10- thought the oldies are not pulling their weight I suspect

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2013, 03:24:03 pm »
still the same - 1 hen's (of 5) every second day or so. We even had 2 duck eggs this week, which is very unusual for us (had to wait til March or later in previous years). From the shape it's from  the same duck on both days -I noticed a few trampled shells also, probably the soft eggs at the start of the season. :excited: :chook: :&>

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2013, 04:40:50 pm »
Are Marans good layers? I swapped my evil Light Sussex cockeral for 3 Maran cockeral chicks which have turned into nice cockerals, wondering whether to find some pure maran hens for next year too...

I've generally found Marans to be fairly consistent layers although they'll slow down during their second Winter.  Shell quality is generally very good.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2013, 05:13:56 pm »
Now up to about 20 a day with lots of pullet eggs so that's good. I agree with Marchesfarmer re. Marans shell quality. Like Welsummers they are good strong eggs. You rarely get one break in your hand like you might with a sussex egg.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2013, 05:50:30 pm »
a quick look at their combs should be enough to tell who is laying and who isn't....big and red for layers or pale and small for those not laying, I'm getting 30+ a day and 3-4 duck eggs a day so all looking good.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

rikkib

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2013, 08:06:30 pm »
0 eggs from 22 hens what's going on?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2013, 08:12:46 pm »
probably just a normal winter break... :&>

rikkib

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2013, 08:24:24 pm »
I'm not sure never had this before all moulted late some still to feather . Banging lots of protein into them very strange year altogether

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2013, 08:57:38 pm »
How old are they? Any evidence of egg eating?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2013, 02:44:52 am »
We still have 4 in the process of moulting but the others are starting to lay again now. It's beginning to get noisy again as they start fighting for the same nest boxes! It's been very mild in the day here and just frosty at night for the last two weeks although end of November was surprisingly bad. Many of ours are quite old being in their 4th year. Most of the eggs are coming from our younger TNN's. Guess the extra daylight we get here also makes a big difference as we let them out at 8.00am and they go in at 5.00pm.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2013, 10:17:25 am »
mine all went off lay from late september until this week. they all moulted late and then we moved and its not ideal atm as the runs are relatively windswept. we are slowly getting there though and have had 6 eggs a day for the last few days. Couple of Scots Greys, the Marsh Daisies and the young araucana are now laying. The older araucana moulted last of all so not expecting anything off them yet.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2013, 11:15:38 am »
We've been getting 3 or 4 a day this week from 22 hens. A big increase on the 1 or even nothing we've had for the last month or so. Hopefully things are looking up.

rikkib

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2013, 07:27:48 pm »
All ages but mostly about 2 years not egg eating no red mite plenty of food seems to be a weather thing.they seem to be well featherd but very pale cones?
I'm not sure never had this before all moulted late some still to feather . Banging lots of protein into them very strange year altogether

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2013, 07:42:05 pm »
pale combs means they're on their break. Believe it or not, after half a decade of chicken keeping I only learned that last month from Ellie...suppose I know more about ducks  :roflanim: :chook: :&>

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2013, 08:39:54 pm »
Up to 19 today from about 40 hens. I know that some of them are far too old to lay but haven't the heart to have a cull.
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS