Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mortality rate  (Read 8025 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Mortality rate
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 11:48:13 am »
Some didn't perch but the dead ones didn't come from the non-perchers exclusively. THere's certainly plenty room now  :(

The house has quite big vent windows above perch height but the house is sited so that the windows are on the side away from the prevailing wind, so there shouldn't be a howling gale going in (except last year when the wind came from the "wrong" direction).

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 01:39:41 pm »
Could you put a max/min thermometer near the perches?  It may not be a cold house that's killing them, but if they're ailing and cold then they'll be less able to weather the ailment.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 02:03:59 pm »
Could do - will see if we have one kicking around here.

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 02:39:03 pm »
How sad I feel for you  :hug: . I hatched my own last year and-touch wood- haven't lost any so far  :fc: . It's terribly upsetting when it happens. I can't think of anything wrong-maybe just not strong enough. Mine have layers and corn in a big galvanized feeder so plenty of room for all, then veg at midday and corn before roosting or in the winter I give them warm porridge with honey and a few raisins. It's a case of trying to keep them as fit as possible, as I see it, but a lot of the time I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. Hope your others are okay, best wishes  :hug:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 03:15:11 pm »
daft question im sure

have you checked with the supplier to see if they know of any problems with the batch, im sure if they were selling POL like that they hatched a lot more than 40 at that time...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 03:36:01 pm »
TBH, they were nearly all down the road and I'd have got a few just for eggs for us but I LIKE selling eggs to local people and they do appreciate the quality and freshness and we get lots of good feedback - and that's what we're about - local food for local people.

I have two feeders out - one treadle feeder outside and a "normal" feeder in the house, so they have easy access. Mixed corn in the afternoon and they're getting codliver oil twice a week, on wholemeal bread (that's REALLY popular - it's like a Hitchcock movie).

Hopefully we're over the worst  :fc:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 03:42:54 pm »
Was it  case of fine one minute and dead the next time you looked?  If you noticed them ailing beforehand it could be something like Marek's or avian leucosis (can't walk, wing stretched out to side) which you didn't mention in the vaccination list. 

I prefer to hatch eggs rather than buy in, that way I know they've been correctly fed and I don't have to worry about bringing in disease.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 03:55:03 pm »
A lot of beginners aren't experienced enough to feed chickens correctly from the egg up to POL. Buying in POL should be the easiest hassle free way of beginning with poultry.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 07:10:46 pm »
I don't like hatching eggs because I don't like dispatching cockerels, although with the right breed, we could run them for meat.

I've thought about getting a flock of pure hens and doing a hybrid myself - RIR x LS or similar - but it's just not top of the priority list atm.

Anyway, they all seem chipper now.

Yes, done for Mareks but not avian leucosis but not displaying those symptoms, MF.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 08:52:01 pm »
Well I got a batch of Copper Blacks POL in September 2012 (from a well known breeder etc etc) and within weeks my homebred similar ages hens were starting to die off.... one after the other... then the POL's started to keel over too... then the stoat took the last three....

So after spending good money on POL's I am now back to home breeding, I bring in fresh cockerels once a year (from other smallholders or leave a homebred one from "alien" eggs), and also take eggs for hatching from other smallholders... We do like Chicken Tikka Massala and coq au vin...My chooks are now nearly all Copper Maran.

Rosiecrad

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Somerset
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 05:07:25 pm »
Sorry to hear you have lost these hens.
we had a bad batch once, they came through someone we knew but we think this person may have bought them from someone else, I think they may have been reared inside and then came straight to our free range system in the winter and they just were not hardy enough. we did self diagnose ( I think it was avian TB, but it was a few yrs ago now). They had yellow legions in their throat and were gasping for breath. Anyway we gave the antibiotics and after that didn't loose any.
I'd be very surprised if it was due to cold as mine have happily survived in -15 conditions and even a few layed.
Hope you are over the worst x
Rosie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS