Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Whos chickens are still laying?  (Read 28572 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Whos chickens are still laying?
« on: October 14, 2013, 04:02:09 pm »
 :excited:  My 22 hens are still producing between 9-13 eggs a day, given that 6 go off for a wonder all day and only return in the evening, I think that's pretty good! I wasn't expecting them to keep laying this late and they did start to slow down in September, so I told everybody that was having eggs off of me that there were no more... then my girls started laying again :innocent:  although the 4 light sussex stopped months ago, but they are very old. The hens that are still laying are my ex free range farm hens that I bought for £1 each, had them since January and will get 10 or 15 more this January too (if I can find enough space to house them teehee)

My lovely duck is still laying 5 eggs a week too!

Anyone else been pleasantly surprised by their chooks still laying in Oct?

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
Re: Whos chickens are still laying?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 04:11:06 pm »
that's good, we are getting 4 from 22 rare breed 4 from 11 ex farm hens and 7 from 8 Maran's
Reduced layers 2 weeks back they are now on sprouted barley with 1kilo 1/2 & 1/2 of layers in the 3 runs, all go out to meadow in the afternoon.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 04:33:44 pm »
Are Marans good layers? I swapped my evil Light Sussex cockeral for 3 Maran cockeral chicks which have turned into nice cockerals, wondering whether to find some pure maran hens for next year too...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 04:49:53 pm »
I got 2, fom 2 birds the  a day before they left so that's that...its off to the shops for eggs now

Mrs Pea

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 04:57:23 pm »
I'm getting between 6 and 9 a day from 46 hens, although a lot of my girls are youngsters I hatched this year and won't start laying till next year.  Well I'm hoping they will because at the moment I'm selling the eggs as fast as they lay them and some people are even ordering in advance  :D Did get 9 duck eggs today  8)

Lisa

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 05:50:43 pm »
I have 6 hens, 4 of them oldies - only 2 eggs a  day just now.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 07:49:16 pm »
I got 10 eggs from Tesco the other day, my rotten lot are just not doing the business just now, gave them fruit cake this week and curried rice (we only eat the eggs ourselves before anyone starts) so see if that does the trick.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

PJB

• Joined May 2009
  • Surrey England
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 07:50:11 pm »
No unfortunately my hens and ducks have all stopped laying.
Ridiculous, my wife bought some this weekend!!!!! that hurts.
pjb
PJB

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 07:51:08 pm »
At least most of you have some eggs - we haven't had a single one for a couple of weeks now, and don't expect any til after Christmas, when the oldies should come back into lay and the new wee ones should get going.    There are some smart new feathers coming through though.

Meanwhile, I can't bring myself to eat eggs from anywhere else, including free range.  We buy them, but only OH eats them.   I think I'll rummage in the freezer because I have some frozen ones in there.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 07:51:35 pm »
I am getting 2 every other day from 26 birds  ::)
Graham

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:07 pm »
Mine were laying well before we went away on holiday, will be interesting to see if they still are when we get home.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 08:06:49 pm »
We get one a day from twenty odd! It's rubbish :innocent:
Just found a broody sitting on twenty eggs, grrrr

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 08:45:39 pm »
Keep an eye out for red mite. This I find can cause the egg production rate to drop considerably.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:58 pm »
Two young ducks (last year's hatch) stopped for moulting and have started again and are both laying daily and have been since the beginning of September - I think both must have topped 150 eggs since March which is way better than I was expecting. Chickens I'm getting three a day from five hens (have others but all this year's hatch) which is about the best it's been this year given they've been taking it in turns to be broody. I keep thinking they're about to stop and one has been moulting but then had to sell a few the other day because I realised I'd built up over six dozen eggs which is too many for us ever to clear!

H

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 05:12:55 am »
All ours are moulting so we were getting 2 eggs from 23 -just the TNN's I think. But they have started again now and a few of the 4 year old Wyandottes are laying -easy to tell by the noise they make before and after!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS