Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Last ditch attempt  (Read 12185 times)

WannaBeFarmerJoe

• Joined Dec 2012
Last ditch attempt
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:21:11 am »
Hello all, this is my last ditch attempt to raise the funds to buy just over an acre of land pretty much behind were me and my wife are living so don't try to laugh to much http://www.gofundme.com/smallholding-dream  :wave:

WannaBeFarmerJoe

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Last ditch attempt
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 01:47:51 pm »

I currently have six pure light sussex hens and I would love to expand by becoming a pure bred breeder my ideal breed list would be

light sussex
silver sussex
white sussex
red sussex
norfolk grey

and maybe a few others if there is room :)

Then I would like to grow as much feed for them as I can and mill it all down, thats phase one of my dream then I would look at getting some saddleback weaners :)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 02:28:26 pm »
Easy to work out how much feed you need and how much ground you need to grow it , 1 sq yd of wheat , barley , oats or rye , will give you appx 1lb of seed/grain .
Many variables in that , soil , weather , seed variety , and many others , but 1lb per sq yd works out about right .
An old Bamford type roller mill will do the job of preparing the grain , ( take great care when grinding the grain , lots of dust is produced and if you breath it in you may end up with farmers lung , it isn't very nice . Guess how i know ?) .
Good luck .

WannaBeFarmerJoe

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: .
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:50:59 pm »
Easy to work out how much feed you need and how much ground you need to grow it , 1 sq yd of wheat , barley , oats or rye , will give you appx 1lb of seed/grain .
Many variables in that , soil , weather , seed variety , and many others , but 1lb per sq yd works out about right .
An old Bamford type roller mill will do the job of preparing the grain , ( take great care when grinding the grain , lots of dust is produced and if you breath it in you may end up with farmers lung , it isn't very nice . Guess how i know ?) .
Good luck .

Ive been looking on the net for a while to work out how much land is needed per lb thanks much appreciated, currently on the look out for a good mill so if you hear about any coming up please let me know.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 03:09:15 pm »
If you have the energy to work that hard when you get the land then go out get a part time job and earn the 7K like everybody else. :roflanim:
7K for a single acre now that b cheap you can b sure that ain't in Devon  :'(

WannaBeFarmerJoe

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 03:15:13 pm »
I cant see myself quitting a full time job to go and get a part time one

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:07:19 pm »
Good luck!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 04:24:04 pm »
good luck, keep trying and you will get there in the end.

WannaBeFarmerJoe

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 06:43:32 pm »
thank you all for the support, one day hopefully :)

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 08:54:50 pm »

I didn't mean instead I mean't as well

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:07:28 pm »

a part-time job on minimum wage isnt far off £7k. go for it.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:11:37 pm »

a part-time job on minimum wage isnt far off £7k. go for it.

Well said shygirl

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 01:24:44 pm »
I found myself quite annoyed that it was being suggested I fund this lifestyle choice.... and I really an a soft touch.

The "oh, we want some land stranger will you give us some money" is somehow annoying in its cheekiness.  There is no need here, just want.

It is easy to ignore, unlike the other people who bombard me with requests blind dog rescue uk.... who bombard me with pictures of dogs blinded and crippled by humans, each of whom has an individual fund..... my paypal account is taking a pounding!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 04:29:20 pm »
the slight problem everyone on here is skint as the animals/vets have scoffed all the money  :roflanim: :roflanim:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 04:44:59 pm »
I know its my own little 'hobby horse' but I don't know why people are so fixated on buying land etc.

I have/had very little money compared to most - I will never be able to afford to buy my own house (although if I keep going the way I am....), I certainly could never afford to buy land.

I looked into the options for livestock businesses and plumped for sheep (I had a few as a hobby anyway) - startup costs are minimal: Stock, trailer, handling kit, dog.

Fisrt year in business proper 2011/2012, still managed to pay my overheads in spite of it being, well...2012 and retain 70 ewe lambs for flock expansion, this year looks like I will break even and pay myself a few thousand and fund further expansion. Next year projected income almost as much as my wife (a secretary) gets full time from a part-time sheep enterprise.

There are options to make a living at farming, you just have to (as much as I hate the phrase) think outside the box.

(Having now typed that, I fully expect all my sheep to die/lamb prices to crash etc etc  :innocent:  )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS