Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Freezing Blood?  (Read 5598 times)

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Freezing Blood?
« on: August 07, 2009, 01:29:49 pm »
I'm having the pigs and a lamb home slaughtered on Tuesday. Will be doing the butchery myself (a blue job) over the following days,but the making of sausages,faggots and pate is a pink job and Carly's not here til the end of the month.
Is it ok to freeze the blood so it can be made into black pudding/chorizo at a later date?  Guess I'll funnel it into bags or ice-cream tubs for storage,any other ideas?.....Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Freezing Blood?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:13:50 pm »
Ah,thanks for that Paul.   I got a reply from another site saying that one needs to add vinegar to the bucket before collecting the blood.This stops it coagulating,makes freezing easier,and aids with making black pudding afterwards. SO,all's well. Thanks again......... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Mabs Wood Squiggies

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:11:12 pm »
Hi Ree

Did you get any more information regarding how much vinegar is needed and how the blood should be treated when it is defrosted? I'm sending my first litter off next week and the abattoire is letting me keep the blood but the butchering won't take place for several days after so I need to keep the blood fresh and suitable for Black Pudding making when the back fat becomes avaialble. Any info gratefully received

Regards Richard

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 01:38:46 pm »
I didn't know whether to start a new thread but - do all abbatoirs "permit" you to have the blood?  I was under the impression that it was not allowed any more?  My piggies get the chop in a couple of weeks and I would really like to make a chorizo type of thing.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 01:58:19 pm »
I'm sorry,I don't know what they do at abattoirs,mine were home killed by a travelling butcher. He didn't add anything to the blood,but stood there stirring it through his fingers for ten minutes whilst it cooled. No idea why,but it didn't coagulate and he said I could put it in the freezer.....Ree

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS