Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone have a food dryer?  (Read 4903 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Anyone have a food dryer?
« on: September 05, 2009, 08:40:56 pm »
Just bought the latest kitchen garden maga and inside the back cover is a nice glossy ad for the 'Excalibur Food Dryer'
Looks good but can this be done in an oven?
Haven't looked at the website yet - just thought I'd canvas opinions!
Would love to make my own raisins! ;D

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
Re: Anyone have a food dryer?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 09:40:11 pm »
We have a couple of food dehydrators. I don't think an oven would go as low as one. Plus the energy an oven would use for a long period of time would be A LOT more. Sometimes, (at least around here) you can find them at second hand stores and at garage sales for very little money.
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:17:48 am »
We use our electric fan oven to dry things like mushroom and hazel nut. On its lowest setting you just get the fan and a little higher and it runs at a fairly constant 70 degrees centigrade.

You can also use a chemical drier which is a sealed box (plastic food storage container provided the lid is a good fit) and a small cup or similar of a desiccant like calcium chloride or silica gel. Dry the food as far as possible and then seal it in the box for a few days. You can do this in the fridge if you are worried about the food going off while it is drying.

After the drying period, open the box carefully as the cup of desiccant may now be largely filled with water. You don't want to spill this water. Put the used desiccant/water into a glass oven-proof dish and place in a medium hot oven for about an hour until the water has been removed. The dry salt can then be re-used.

This technique should get small strips or slices of meat, fruit, vegetables etc very dry for storing. It's a matter of trial and error to see what works and meets your needs.

Storing food in the freezer in an open container will also remove a lot of the water. This is also a fairly safe technique as the food is less likely to spoil while drying. Some meats can develop a rancid taste though from the fat in them oxidising. Pork can only be stored a month like this.

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 03:53:16 pm »
Absolutely love my dryer.  Have wanted one for years and years and finally took the plunge after seeing someone use it to make jerky.

Use it for dried fruit mostly (mostly to add to my muesli type breakfast) and also for jerky.  Make fruit leather which is delicious and also dry tomatoes to pack in olive oil when they are plentiful.  Have tried doing this in an oven but the results with the drier are much better and consistent.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 10:37:58 pm »
texture of the dried produce is much better than if you do this in an conventional oven. I've heard that an Aga with the door slightly open achieves similar  :&>

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 04:30:15 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I may have a look around for a second hand one and give it a go  :)

welshboy

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 09:43:16 am »
This is an idea/plan s about making a solar food dryer

http://www.i4at.org/surv/soldehyd.htm

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS