Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why Can't You feed sheep Copper  (Read 11797 times)

Jon Brunyee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Mylor
Why Can't You feed sheep Copper
« on: August 30, 2013, 12:00:49 pm »
just wondering why they cant eat it, we put our store lambs in with our cattle and just remembered to take the lick out!

Thank you

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Why Can't You feed sheep Copper
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 12:13:46 pm »
"Sheep are unique in that they accumulate copper in the liver more readily than other farm animals. As a result, they are very susceptible to Cu toxicity (poisoning). Mature ewes of British breed origin appear to be the most vulnerable and there is evidence to suggest that Finn Sheep and Texels also have a tendency to accumulate more Cu in the liver than other breeds."

From: http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/coppertox.html

HTH,

Dan

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 01:06:12 pm »
This article also mentions the possibility of high copper levels in pasture that had pig manure.
Does anyone here has experienced problems with grazing sheep on land that has housed pigs?

I have a field with fast growing areas of bracken that I am thinking of controlling with pigs - would that mean I should not let sheep on that land after it has been restored? (this would defy the purpose...)  :thinking:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 01:16:25 pm »
I have a field with fast growing areas of bracken that I am thinking of controlling with pigs - would that mean I should not let sheep on that land after it has been restored? (this would defy the purpose...)  :thinking:
If I were you I would get the resulting forage (grass) analysed.  That will tell you were you stand.  You might find that you are high in Molybdenum and Sulphur and Iron and such like which all have an impact on the availability of the copper.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 02:56:29 pm »
Good point, thanks Foobar. Will keep that in mind when I get to that point...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 03:32:45 pm »
We have an ex pig farm where the farmyard manure and water from the slurry lagoon were regularly spread on the fields.  The owner kept sheep with no problems and we have too.  Our soil, though, is high in iron and molybdenum, which inhibits the uptake of copper from the forage.  Don't forget that primitive breeds that have evolved to eat seaweed will be extremely susceptible to copper toxicity.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 10:03:48 pm »
Our area is very deficient in copper, cobalt and selenium; we have to give our sheep extra minerals to compensate, either in feed or as a drench.  Plus we give them licks specifically for sheep.

However, the fact that we have cattle and therefore higher-copper feed and licks around is one of the reasons I won't have North Ronaldsays - they are highly susceptible to copper poisoning, we learned from a TASer last year.  :'(

Currently a breakaway group of my little fleece sheep, being 2 Castlemilk Moorits, 2 Manx Loaghtans and 5 Shetland Xes, are getting in with the pigs during the day.  So I do hope there won't be a problem...  I've two full grown pigs and now 7 little sheep  ::) on around an acre.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 11:52:46 pm »
Apparently a lot of peeps near us Bolus their sheep with copper due to low levels and the iron high level making the copper unavailable or something.

I can believe it as have had to supplement the pony to correct deficiencies showing up in hoof, and a low iron higher copper supplement has has a very swift and positive effect.

So altho overdose of copper is bad, so is too little, it's finding out which is the case.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 01:14:29 am »
I can believe it as have had to supplement the pony to correct deficiencies showing up in hoof, and a low iron higher copper supplement has has a very swift and positive effect.

So altho overdose of copper is bad, so is too little, it's finding out which is the case.
Hi
what hoof problems caused by copper deficiency? my goats seem to have foot problems, ie weak or walls, we have low copper here - could this be related? they do have red rockies but only one seems to bother with it.

added-
mmm interesting, been googling, I'll put the rockies in front of the girls tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:24:08 am by penninehillbilly »

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 07:17:22 am »
In my pony it was separation of the hoof wall, so it was two different shades, white thin line on outer then slightly creamy inner line with a darker line visible in between.

After a month on the forageplus hoof supplement the new growth is solid hoof wall, all bright white and solid with no separation, looks so much better!!

So maybe it would help with goats :-))) 

I didn't tell my hoof trimmer who recommended it that I was following her advice and had fed the supp, the next time she came she exclaimed over the marvellous progress on the hooves, it was only after that I told her that I had gone ahead and I'd already noticed the change myself.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 09:36:39 am »
Anyone can recommend a soil testing service?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 10:29:50 am »
In my pony it was separation of the hoof wall, so it was two different shades, white thin line on outer then slightly creamy inner line with a darker line visible in between.

After a month on the forageplus hoof supplement the new growth is solid hoof wall, all bright white and solid with no separation, looks so much better!!

So maybe it would help with goats :-))) 

As they are milkers I'd have to look into it, they are on a supplement but I'll check copper content today, didn't realise it affected hooves.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 12:12:36 pm »
I've just switched my milking Saanen onto a cattle feed instead of the goat/sheep feed she was on before.
I noticed in spring, shortly after we got her, she moulted by shedding a load of hair, looking almost bald before the new growth came through, and put it down to stress of moving, and the previous owner was suspicious she may have been having a false pregnancy.
She moulted a whole heap of hair again the other week, and so I had a wee think, and thought that it may well fit with copper deficiency.
Having switched onto beef nuts, with copper in them, the new hair seems to have grown in much quicker than it did previously, so I think this may well be a copper deficiency.
This bodes well for my sheep, because if they accidentally eat a bit of the cattle feed etc, the low copper in the area should mean they won't get copper poisoning!

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 07:42:10 pm »
i'm too far away from you but i work as a forage specialsit- a major part of the job involves taking soil samples and advising farmers on the results. i work for mole valley farmers and we cover much of wales and could give you details of guy in your area if you were interested.. let me know and i'll pm you.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 10:58:35 pm »
this is an interesting thread - I too am planning on using pigs for ground clearing. I wonder how long the copper levels stay high - maybe graze something else first.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS