Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone got a teaser ram I could borrow?  (Read 1945 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Anyone got a teaser ram I could borrow?
« on: September 03, 2013, 07:08:43 pm »
Hi there,

Due to the busyness of planning to move house and sheep to Gloucestershire... I forgot to get my ram booked in for his vasectomy :( I rung the vet up today and he said I have left it too late for when I need to use him :(

This years lambing was spread out from march the 20th up until april the 19th! and I dont want to repeat it for next year.

I have looked at adverts on the internet and I have called a couple of breeders, no one it seems has one for me at the moment.

Would anyone have a teaser I could borrow/buy/use for the last two weeks in october?

I am willing to pick up from berkshire, most of hampshire, north wiltshire/Gloucestershire

thanks alot

jess

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Anyone got a teaser ram I could borrow?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:36:44 pm »
If you want a tighter lambing another way is to stick an entire ram in a livestock trailer (or other safe/escape proof container) in the field with the girls for a few days. Has the same effect as a teaser

To avoid a long lambing take the ram out after 20 days?

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: Anyone got a teaser ram I could borrow?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:02:33 pm »
Hi there,

Thats a good idea! but Unfortunately the field the ewes are moving to is too steep to have a trailer on it, also I cant have the ram on a side of a fence to the ewes, so I was going to use a teaser ram....

Ewes are moving to new grazing end of this month to flush them but then I was going to put teaser in first then split the groups and put both rams in.

Yes I could take the ram out but due to having so few ewes then that could leave too many un tupped..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS