Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Castration or vasectomy?  (Read 4034 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Castration or vasectomy?
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:50:10 am »
Whats the difference?  I know the technical details but what difference does it make to the ram?
My lovely Tomos is still entire and should really be finding a home where he will work but it seems no on wants him so may get him 'done' and keep him myself as a lawnmower/pet/fleece giver.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Castration or vasectomy?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:03:30 am »
a vasectomy is used when you dont want his sperm but want him to act like a ram and tease the sheep into season - its used with horses to test if mares are in season and will accept a teaser stallion - it saves injuries on expensive stud animals. only the tube is cut/tied, nothing else is taken away.
a castration will remove the inner parts - balls / tubes etc so he will lose the urge to mate and is less likely t act like a ram.
a ram with a vasectomy is as dangerous as an entire ram, behaviour wise.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:05:19 am »
Thankyou shygirl, very well explained. 
Castration it is then but keep it quiet as I don't want him to know  ;D

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:06:35 am »
As far as I understand it (and I'm certainly no expert) a vasectomised ram still has his testicles and therefore all his hormones fully working, so would be seeking out/mating with ewes in season but not able to impregnate them. A castrated ram has no testicles or hormones left so would be disinterested in ewes.
It would seem to me that if you are looking to keep a ram as a pet it would be better for him to be castrated?

(I think someone else has posted more or less the same while I've been typing, but will post anway)
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 11:29:46 am »
I have a few wethers as pets - ones I couldn't bear to part with when the time came  :innocent:  ::) but would not consider keeping anything entire as a lawnmower/pet, so castration sounds like the route to go.  It's pretty quick and straightforward so Tomos should be fine.  At least he won't need to wear one of those plastic collars that dogs have to after such an op!   

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 02:02:41 pm »
If you are breeding more lambs next year - why not freezer? I know he is maybe lovely, but have you got enough grazing?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 02:49:38 pm »
Anke, we can just about manage with the grazing but then we will be full up.
We expected this lamb to be sold and therefore he has been treated very nicely and is my favourite too.
I think I could eat him but OH said he can't. I would rather keep him than someone else having the meat.
With the pigs it was different as they were for meat from the start so I never got as attached.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS