Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: RIP Jack  (Read 6797 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
RIP Jack
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:16:29 am »
Last week (haven't been able to face up to it since) we lost our beautiful boy Jack.
He'd been a bit off colour on and off for a few weeks, we put it down to the weather,
On Tuesday I clipped him quite short, as usual he laid there and let me do anything with him, and then took him for a walk, he was trotting round the yard, did his little dance when he realised I was going to walk him up the lane, that night he seemed down again, but ate his tea, OH said he didn't want to go for a walk but he'd got him to go a little way.
Wednesday morning he was laid by his water dish, not moving but alive, I moved him away from the corner and water came out of his mouth. Luckily the vet could see him that morning OH took him down while I saw to the goats. He rang to say Jack hadn't got long and did I want to go down, of course I did but didn't want Jack to suffer any longer than necessary (20-30 min drive), and I would only upset him by being upset. so he held him while it was done. We didn't know, and the vet said she couldn't have diagnosed it, but he had a tumour, (found it by ultrasound) it had kept either leaking or something but his body had kept healing it up, but it had ruptured and bled into his stomach.
How I wish they could talk, or I could have understood, I'm now remembering the times he cried to come through the gate to me and I'd tell him to go and lie down because I was cleaning goat pens out (sharp fork), was he telling me his stomach hurt? yes, the more I think about it the more I realise he was quiet and wanting to be near me those last few weeks.
Well he's back here, down in one of his favourite places, but the house is so empty without him,
He was so good and laid back, but always wanted to be with us, wherever I was he would be there, cats would sleep on top of him, and he had lots of little doggy friends (and human) who would ask where he was if he didn't go to greet them.
I have lots of happy memories, like the time he came down the field, not long after we got him (Manchester dogs home) our pet sheep was coming up and they literally met where the flat land dropped away, they both looked at each other and ran back the  way they had come, really funny to see.
The image I have in my head is of him running through the long grass, chasing rabbits, and they turned but he didn't,
So run free my beautiful boy, if we meet in another life I hope we recognise something in each other,

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: RIP Jack
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 07:11:43 am »
 :bouquet: :hug: :'( I am so sorry to hear about Jack, so very hard when they go, it really is like losing a member of the family (as indeed they are).  He looked a lovely chap and sounds like he had a fantastic life with you after his harsh start.  Many people disregard rescue dogs but all they need is for someone to give them a chance in life.  You have lots of happy memories of him so hold on to those. RIP Jack.  :bouquet:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 08:11:12 am »
Your post brought tears to my eyes. Jack looked suck a lovely dog. He will be pain free now so focus on that and the good years that you had together.
RIP Jack  :bouquet:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:18:22 am »
dogs are so much more than pets, I have tears in my eyes thinking about your pain....... :bouquet:  Oohing I can say will help, But we all understand.. :hug:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:19:29 am »
 :hug: So sorry to hear about Jack.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 08:24:38 am »
sorry to hear about your lovely dog, he looks/sounds like a real character. Hindsight is bittersweet, don't beat yourself up over not seeing his pain, it can be very hard to tell if there is anything wrong.  :bouquet:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:37:51 am »
 :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet: So sorry.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 09:14:54 am »
Bless Jack and bless you  :hug: :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 09:44:02 am »
So sorry to hear your sad news :bouquet:  I know how you feel after losing my collie just a couple of weeks ago.
Think of the good times you had with him and how he enriched your life. :hug:
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 09:56:26 am »
So so sorry  :bouquet:

Losing a treasured friend is very hard.  We all have our allotted time here on this earth, but it is just a part of what we are - people or animals - and there is more to this life that what we see.  I am sure he is still there, still being Jack but in another way.  Dogs give us so much and ask so little, but just be grateful for the lovely happy times you shared

Perhaps you could give another dog a chance to enjoy the happiness that Jack had?
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:43:55 am »
 :bouquet: so sorry Jack is no longer withnyou. The pain will ease but the lovely memories will always stay strong  :hug:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 12:54:48 pm »
having just acquired two border collies who already have a big clutch on my heart, I can only imagine how awful it must be. He looked beautiful.

RIP

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 02:37:36 pm »
So sorry

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 02:49:09 pm »
It's over a year since I lost Boris  :dog: and I still miss him every day  :'(
I'm so sorry for your loss but I'm sure Jack is pain free and chasing rabbits now (bet he's catching them too  ;))
 :hug: :hug:Karen x

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 03:00:42 pm »
Oh bless him. I'm so sorry  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS