Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Alert  (Read 3652 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Alert
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:02:14 pm »
this was on an aberdeen facebook page tonight -Fubar news. bit worrying as i cant lock my car with the terrier in it as he sets off the alarm every time.

Hi Guys,
Just a quick alert. My mum just fuelled her car at Shell on Wellington Road and was waiting in the queue to pay when the assistant alerted her that someone was trying the doors of her car. It turns out they were two irish men in a white Ford Transit (partial reg SF62) trying to get the dogs out of the car. After a few chioce words from my mum they said they were just looking and quickly left.
The dogs are Alsatians, big lads and very protective of their territory. The Irishmen are lucky the doors were locked or the outcome would not have been good.
Please folks, keep your pets safe

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
Re: Alert
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:06:14 pm »
A few months back in our local garage a man refuelled his car and went to pay. On returning his Jack Russell was so pleased to see him he jumped up to the window and pressed the central locking button. :dunce:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:12:48 pm »
I cannot work out the tail gate on our car and as it was used for a guard dog patrol it had mess between the front seats and the back part..it has a big flasher on the top saying dog patrol too...it always locks when I get out the car so OK, its horrid that people would steal a pet dog :(

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:29:51 pm »
Horrid indeed.

I haven't worked out how to lock my car without setting the alarm either, so I hate leaving the pup in it. I had better read the manual, I'm sure car manufacturers know people need to leave dogs safely in cars.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:51:06 pm »
Doesn't locking it with the key not set the alarm?
(I know what I mean but can't think how to write it)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 11:58:34 pm »
Doesn't locking it with the key not set the alarm?
(I know what I mean but can't think how to write it)
does it?
i took my car to the garage last week to get the man to turn the alarm off but he said he couldnt and i had to take it to the city to get it done.  :gloomy:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:03:43 am »
I had a freelander and thats how I could leave dogs in the back, just one turn with key. I think if you clicked it over twice that set the alarm.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 09:31:48 am »
I lock mine automatically - if the alarm were to go off while I was in the shop all the better!

Dogs are being stolen even from their owners as they walk them, even leads being grabbed out of their hands if the dogs aren't off leach.  This recession is the cause I believe as this crime has increased in the last two years.

My friend Dawn still doesn't have Angel back from 6th December - stolen from a field while she put the other dogs in the car.
www.findmissingangel.co.uk
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 09:45:08 am »
I had a padlock on the gate but had to cut it off due to being locked out, good job it was not too strong but then again, a dog thief would also be able to cut it off so now have a stronger one and hide a spare key...not sure where thought  :innocent:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 11:03:03 am »
Better safe than sorry  - dogs are being stolen from gardens and even locked kennels.  One of our Gundog Club members had his young newly crowned Field champion stolen from a locked kennel with a couple of her kennel mates. don't think he has them back yet and the Trial season is about to start.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 11:16:35 am »
Makes me cringe every time I see dogs tied up outside shops  :-\  >:(

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 11:38:46 am »
I had a padlock on the gate but had to cut it off due to being locked out, good job it was not too strong but then again, a dog thief would also be able to cut it off so now have a stronger one and hide a spare key...not sure where thought  :innocent:

padlocks are suprisingly easy to break. a good hard whack with a hammer releases it.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 12:12:15 pm »
I suppose no where s safe........burglars can break in to anything.........we are looking at properties and not many have secluded areas for dogs so at least they cannot be viewed from the road, I even worry about people feeding bones or worse............When it's not hot I do take them with me and I actually rely go out unless some one is here, I go for dog walks then pop in the shopping, in the evening the dogs are in our house with guests who have stayed with use for ages and know us well, so......the risks re fewer e...I even took our tiny pups to a forest, put hem in a cage in the back of the car and unlocked the firest get, drive in and let the others have a run while mum and I stayed around the pups.......not something I will do too often but at least they were with me......

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 12:26:10 pm »
not sure how true it is but some people are saying that the increase in dog thefts started when the clamp down on cash for scrap metal came in!
It is very worrying.

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS