Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long does a hen need to be broody for before day old chicks? How many chicks  (Read 7631 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Ah thanks. All going well so far :fc: :fc: .  Will post pic as soon as she's out - I'd love to know what she is (champion in my eyes only) she's the decendant of the original we inherited with this place (so we know there is some light Sussex in the mix via the last cockerel. This years cockerel was a cream legbar.... So chicks will be a right mosh mosh..... But be great to ID the look of her in case I want to buy some more in.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
we have had hens trying to steal newly hatched chicks, even though they werent broody before hand.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
We had a single hatchling out of the incubator last year, and managed to sneak him under a hen who'd been broody for all of eight hours.  Is that a record?  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
8 hours! Yes that's the record, unless anyone else can do better! I was told they should be left at least a week, but have done a few batches now with hens within 2-3 days and all adoptions have gone fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS