Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Biggest brood raised by a hen?  (Read 2897 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Biggest brood raised by a hen?
« on: April 27, 2014, 09:13:01 pm »
I have a big hen just hatched 6, and 10 hatched in incubator a couple of days earlier- same time..... She is still sitting on last eggs, but I think that may be it for her..... What are my chances of getting the Incy ones off heat and in with her in the dead of night?! I know 16 is a lot and wondering if it is possible, has been done? Cheers, f
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:16:00 pm by FiB »

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Biggest brood raised by a hen?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 09:14:28 pm »
no idea but whilst we're at it what's the most eggs anyone's had a broody hatch successfully in 1 sitting please???

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:24:24 pm »
I let them sit 6 but take 3 away last minute, I have lavenders & speckled sussex so permanently have broodies

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 09:40:45 pm »
Lol... Mine was sitting on about 20! But I need to weigh up the likelihood of success before contemplating 'slipping' an extra 10 chicks in with her tomorrow (assuming no more hatch overnight). Someone had said they had not had more than 10 chicks with  1 hen... I wondered if anyone had  experienced more.....

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 09:56:17 pm »
if they are all hatched im sure they will be fine if she is big and well feathered. and she is happy to accept them.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 08:24:06 am »
Thanks.  She has hatched at least another one over night (day 26 now!), so starting to tip past ' too many' (and no benefit in fostering a few (was hoping to save on heat lampage).  Ah well, for a day there it was starting to look neat  :-\ ;)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 10:39:26 am »
chicks will sit under her wings and chest aswell as underneath her so should be ok. giving her too many eggs however means some can get cold and not hatch.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 12:24:13 pm »
Well.... I don't want to count my chicks etc :excited: :excited: .... But she seems quite pleased (as best I can tell). Immediately set to warming position and made gentle clucking noises. No pecking or pushing away. ;D ;D :fc: :excited: :fc: .  Thanks shy girl et al fi xx

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 09:34:26 pm »
Well ....... done last light check and all quiet- can see a few bits and bobs poking out, but she does appear to have absorbed all 17 into her giant ruffles!! ;D  She is going to get some serious treats tomorrow. Mmmm, how do you treat a broody hen?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 10:15:26 pm »
Best of luck with them, I'm sure she'll be fine! It's amazing how they all disappear into mums feathers; the family may look a bit more awkward in about 3 weeks when chicks are bigger and more chick bits hang out! :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS