Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good egg layers - which breed  (Read 2364 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Good egg layers - which breed
« on: April 28, 2014, 05:58:43 pm »
It is looking like one of my Pekins is going broody so I want to source some eggs for her to hatch but not bantams.  I would like a good egg layer which ideally lays a large non light brown egg so that I know who has laid the egg.  Autosexing at birth would be an advantage.  I would prefer something smaller than a Maran as I have limited coop space.  I may, of course, be asking for the world but does anyone have any suggestions or can supply me with half a dozen eggs either locally (I live between Reading and Oxford) or by post.

Ryder

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Good egg layers - which breed
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:31:02 pm »
If you don't mind cross breeds get hatching eggs for Rhode Island red crossed with Barred Plymouth rock (sometimes known as black rock, rhode rock, nera or miss pepperpot).  They lay darkish large eggs, lot's of them, about 300 per year, have an excellent immune system, hens are not that large, and unlike many other hybrids keep on laying regularly for about 5 years and are amazing foragers.  They are my preferred choice of hybrid layers. 

If you want pure breeds that lay lots of darkish large eggs go for Rhode Island Red or barred plymouth rock.

If your not too fussed about how light the egg is, go for Light Sussex, they lay lots of large eggs, but are on the light brown/tinted side.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 09:47:24 pm »
another vote for black rock here- lots of brown eggs and cracking little hens.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:53:49 pm »
Black rock = yes
Rhode Island red = limited coop space = No
cream legbar = plenty of eggs + blue/green eggs

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:18:51 pm »
Rhode Island red = limited coop space = No

Why do you say that Andy? Also aren't Black Rocks are half RIR in any case? ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Carasine

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 10:46:16 pm »
I've got one Rhode Island Red and she has laid large eggs consistently for the past 4 yrs. I certainly go for more in the future. She is smaller than my other hens (Sussex and Australorps) but lays the largest eggs.
Can't see why they would be a problem with limited coop space, she does dig deep holes in the lawn though if given the chance.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS