Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chocolate Labrador Pups born yesterday!!  (Read 11843 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Chocolate Labrador Pups born yesterday!!
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2013, 05:15:19 pm »
[font=] Expresso of Gaskhill  :thumbsup: of mordor, he is a similar size to Rhum, way back they have the same in their pedigree, Madras Master Marinor or something, not sure unless I check :innocent: , he is calm and apparently a very good gun dog but Charlie recons he plays up to an audience!!.. Zeus is a perfect dog, so loving, so sad that he lost his eye........a lot of the pups have turned out fast and agile dogs although I do not want or like agility for our dogs as I worry Rohan is far too fast for her own good, she runs up  hills and jumps down banks where as Rhum :innocent: :innocent: [/font]

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 05:21:11 pm »

Just look at this little cutie pie

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 05:22:46 pm »
Tikka and Madras

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2013, 06:27:44 pm »
Both parents are working Gun dogs although mum refuses to work a lot of the time, but fantastic at picking up.......the parents have health checks and can be viewed, the stud can be easily seen on Mordor Gundog Site, he is a chocolate Lab too...

so chocolates do work then? i thought they did but was told by a friend they were just show dogs and werent bred for work. i love the choccy labs.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2013, 06:52:31 pm »
It seems to be a thing that working people put about.  I must admit apart from Charlie's Nutty I only know of one other working chocolate.  And it's certainly not trialling.  They seem to stay clear of them to be honest.  It's such a shame because they come from the same working stock as blacks and yellows and their shape is totally different from what you see in the show ring - not many of them could work.  :innocent:

You do see a lot of chocolates being shown.   I wonder if the idea started because chocolates are not so easily seen in cover as a black or yellow?  I believe fox reds aren't accepted in working circles so well either.

I know of one kennel that works and shows the same dogs - Carole Coode's Warringah's http://www.warringah.org.uk/working.htm  David works and trials them, Carole shows them.  Out of 18 champions 15 of them have their full titles.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2013, 07:12:02 pm »
I was told that as they are not so common, people tend not to  be so choosey when breeding and so they have mostly been bred down the route of show lines as not many made the grade for gun dogs, some breeders would also euthanase  any chocolate that was in the litter, Rhum and Nuttela have common ancestors, Mardas Master Mariner who was actually a Black show dog http://labradornet.com/famemardasmastermariner.html
 Rhum is thick set but still smaller than show dogs, like you say Anne, they are much thicker set dogs, Charlie's friend and Charlie would love to train up Rhum, she is being a perfect very efficient mum, she is so practical and deals with all the cleaning etc very well...so love our Rhum!! 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2013, 07:17:57 pm »
I told you right from when I saw her first at 8 weeks that she was a good 'un.  She eye-balled me as soon as i said her name - always good in a gundog.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 07:30:01 pm »
Fox Red labradors are just a shade of "yellow" and I have a new pup  :excited:  who is a very dark yellow, possibly most people would describe as fox red.

I think lots of shooting people admire fox reds. Just a matter of preference really between blacks and the various shades of yellow.

FTCh Mediterian Blue (sire of the current retriever champion FTCh Delfleet Neon of Fendawood) is a fox red and is a very popular working lab at the moment, having thrown a number of very good trial dogs. A sought after sire at present.

Think working chocolates are in the minority but if they prove themselves in the field then sure they would gain popularity.

You could lead the way HGL  :thumbsup:  Are they bundles of trouble yet?  ;D

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013, 07:41:08 pm »
Rhums mum is an excellent gun dog and picks up for the Loch Leven shoot!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2013, 07:42:36 pm »
Our shoot captain always warns our guns not to shoot the tailless fox!  Allez is the colour of a fox   I was told that was why they aren't keen on fox reds, or dark retrievers either.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2013, 07:51:16 pm »
Hee, Hee ..... poor Allez! Never heard that one before.

Perhaps there are lots of guns on your shoot with poor eye sight  ;D  ..... bit like the Spec Savers advert.

Shall make sure all the guns are wearing their specs before I release Kate.  :roflanim:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2013, 08:09:39 pm »
He he, perhaps enthusiasm t#rather than lack of sight.  To be honest Eoin, my friend's husband who is the gamie deals with most of the foxes.  Only ever seen one on a shoot and Allez was at my heel at the time so they all took shots at it.

Best remind them Kate is a dog before the off  :excited:- they like a bit of a laugh beforehand, provided the shoot captain allows of course.  :innocent:  Some shoots are quite fussy about protocol  :eyelashes:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2013, 08:12:08 pm »
all the new owners appear wonderful and the phone continues to ring with people after them, also the stud dog owner is so I pressed he wanted some but. All gone, shame as they WILL be fantastic pickers up, Charlie  (Mordor Gundogs)and others know that but none have gone to shooters.......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS