Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I put my courgette/tomato recipe in Kilner jars  (Read 3225 times)

essexbees

• Joined Aug 2013
Can I put my courgette/tomato recipe in Kilner jars
« on: August 01, 2013, 05:47:47 pm »
Hi all,
I have a recipe that uses up courgettes (yay!) and involves cooking them with onions, tomatoes to form a sort-of ratatouille.

My question is, if I make a batch, can I keep it in Kilner jars and if so what is the process?

Can I, for example, put the hot "goo" into hot Kilner jars, then put the rubber ring and lid on and then, as it cools, it seals ... or do I have to do something else?

I could just freeze the mixture, but to be honest, I have a shelf and want to have jars upon jars of nice looking "goo"

Many thanks

Dan

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Can I put my courgette/tomato recipe in Kilner jars
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 06:24:31 pm »
I am absolutely positive that my Mum used to do this, but evrything I read now seems to say that the risk of botulism is so high that it is not recommended to store vegs in Kilner jars.  However, in the States, they do it all the time!  i would suggest you have a look at Miss Vickie's site online - it deals with "canning" which is what it translates to.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 05:02:03 am »

We make passata out of our tomatoes and put them in Kilner jars on the shelf - no problem. We are just finishing up the last few jars now to make space for this year's crop. We put hot tomato goo into hot jars that have been through the dish washer and then in a warm (120 deg) oven.

If the lid of the Kilner jar "pops" then we don't use it. Adults' immune systems tend to be able to deal with Clostridium botulinum but children are more susceptible.

The only way to be really REALLY sure of anhililating the C. botulinum is to use a pressurised canning device or boil the goo for ten minutes.

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:09:58 am »
I just use screw top jars for that... Free, and better size for the single household. If I want to keep anything for longer than just a few weeks, I sterilise it (fill piping hot, screw lid on, stick in pan of water and boil for about half hour). Has never failed me yet!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS