Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which breadmaker?  (Read 9899 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Which breadmaker?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 07:45:17 am »
I don't make enough bread!!!.... and the yeast doesn't have a very long shelf life - certainly doesn't seem to last as long as the sell by date so when loaves start failing to rise I usually but a new box.

I noticed that our local Co-op was selling sachets individually which might help.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 08:59:12 am »
I replaced a broken Morphy richards with a Panasonic after rave reviews from friends and...it lives up to all expectations! cost a little more (ok a lot more) but is fantastic  :thumbsup:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 09:30:55 am »
Really good strong flour is one of the most important things to get bread maker bread to rise well.

We've found Waitrose's Strong Canadian flour the best and have to stock up when near a Waitrose. Any other flour recommendations for bread makers?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 11:33:21 am »
Another vote for panasonic  :thumbsup:
Don't make bread very often but don't use old flour that you've had in the cupboard for ages it loses its oomph!
Mandy :pig:

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 11:42:18 am »
I have ordered a Panasonic SD-2501 with the dispenser. With all the recommendations it was an easy decision. Cheers guys!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Helen

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 11:46:13 am »
We've found Waitrose's Strong Canadian flour the best and have to stock up when near a Waitrose. Any other flour recommendations for bread makers?

We've been using Aberfeldy Oatmeal's Granary Flour, it's lovely 50/50 with wholemeal or as a 100% granary loaf:

http://www.aberfeldyoatmeal.co.uk/biscuits.html

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 12:25:35 pm »
I have ordered a Panasonic SD-2501 with the dispenser. With all the recommendations it was an easy decision. Cheers guys!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Helen

Great stuff! Have fun.  ;D

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 02:58:16 pm »
I don't make enough bread!!!.... and the yeast doesn't have a very long shelf life - certainly doesn't seem to last as long as the sell by date so when loaves start failing to rise I usually but a new box.

Really? What make is it? I've had an open packet of Dove's Farm for at least two years beyond its bbd, and it's still working perfectly fine. Or at least it was last time I used it, a few months ago. You can keep it in the fridge to prolong shelf life, too.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 03:03:52 pm »
Don't use Hovis flour!!!

We find flour quality very variable (except Waitrose Canadian).

See the blog below for a very detailed report on Hovis issues and panasonic breadmakers

http://thechiefexecutive.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/panasonic-bread-machine-bread-not.html

Adding Lemon juice is supposed to help!

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 11:31:55 am »
Ooh that happened to me too! Can't remember if it was Hovis but it was definitely granary flour. The rest of it is still sitting there so I will try the lemon juice trick with it soon.  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 11:53:29 am »
Henchard, thats an interesting link, thanks
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 12:04:45 pm »
I use Vitamin C powder which will have the same effect as lemon juice but doesn't mess up the liquid amounts.

I have modified the Panasonic recipes a bit to make them 'healthier'.   I have reduced the salt to just half a level teaspoon in the largest size of loaf (21oz flour), and sugar to one level teaspoon.  This makes no difference whatsoever to the rising of the dough, and we don't like salty things so we don't notice any problem with the taste.

I play around with the flour I use.  At the moment for a 21oz loaf, I use 14oz Marriages wholemeal flour plus 7oz of Wessex Mill 6 grain flour, which looks brown but acts like white.   If I don't want the seedy bits then the 7oz would be a strong white - usually Allinson's or Doves Farm, but I find with white flour the make is less important.   I also add extra seeds sometimes - sesame seeds which give a nice nutty, crispy top, plus blue poppy seeds, linseed, sunflowers, pumpkin seeds or anything else that takes my fancy.

I mix up all the dry ingredients together before I put them in the bucket, as this seems to make for a more even loaf.

I never use fat direct from the fridge as it tends to make the top go flat.  I use Bertolli olive oil spread at room temp.

I never make all white loaves and I no longer make 100% wholemeal loaves as my OH has problems with them.

I use mainly Allinson's yeast in a tin, or Doves Farm in a small box (which I decant into an empty tin), but some times before I get to the bottom of the tin I have noticed the yeast isn't working so well, so I ditch that batch and buy fresh.  I make bread every second day, so the yeast certainly isn't ancient before it starts to become less effective.
I don't use the packets as I adjust the amount of yeast I use according to the flour and whether I'm using a quick bake setting or a long one.   Some packet yeast already contains Vit C powder.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 12:35:58 pm »
I LOVE my new Panasonic breadmaker! I made a lovely fluffy loaf yesterday (the flour was probably about a year or more old - Allinsons seeded mixed with white) and I am going to try the brioche recipe today. Thanks once again for the recommendations.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Helen

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2013, 12:38:33 pm »
Glad we were able to help.  We really need a taste test though  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS