Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horseradish Sauce  (Read 4301 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Horseradish Sauce
« on: July 25, 2013, 11:14:14 pm »
One of our friends has severe allergies & is unable to tolerate eggs or milk from any animal  :fc:   :(  (soya, almond etc she's ok with).  She is considering growing some horseradish around her pond & loves the sauce, but can no-longer eat it because of her allergies.

Does anyone know of any recipe for Horseradish sauce that would be ok for her?
Thanx

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Horseradish Sauce
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:25:18 pm »
I used to just add grated horseradish to creme fraiche and everyone seemed to like it.  I have heard you can add a spoonful of mustard as well but I never bothered.  Be very careful when peeling and grating the root it is amazingly strong - make sure you keep it off skin and away from eyes and nose.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:31:27 pm »
Just planted up a cutting of horseradish from a friend a couple of weeks ago so watching this post to see what I can conjoir up  :yum: having never used it fresh

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:56:19 pm »
Just planted up a cutting of horseradish from a friend a couple of weeks ago so watching this post to see what I can conjoir up  :yum: having never used it fresh

Are you sure that is was a friend?   ;D   I am still trying to get rid of my horseradish.  It gows like bloody bindweed - if you miss a single strand of root it will grow another plant.  Love horseradish, but it now has its own bucket to grow in!

I make a horseradish and beetroot chutney/pickle, whichis really yummy

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 12:00:49 am »
A GOOD friend who said whatever I do make sure I contain it.
It is planted in a large tub  ;D
She is bringing me some of her 'wild' horseradish this year so mine has a good start  :yum:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 08:36:41 pm »
Wow - this sounds like scary stuff  :o

Thanks for the tip about keeping it in a pot  :thumbsup: , as I was thinking about obtaining some  :innocent:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 09:07:58 pm »

Oooh Beewyched, does you friend not want to try this chutney/pickle. Then we can perhaps persuade Greenerlife  to share the recipe ( I've got baby beetroot just growing )  :yum:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 09:12:02 pm »

Oooh Beewyched, does you friend not want to try this chutney/pickle. Then we can perhaps persuade Greenerlife  to share the recipe ( I've got baby beetroot just growing )  :yum:

Aaah, I'm sure she will if a kind person would supply the recipe  ;)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 11:35:08 pm »
I am away at a festival until Tuesday - your recipe will have to wait!   ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS