Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Self-install of Wood Burning Stove  (Read 51221 times)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Self-install of Wood Burning Stove
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 07:04:24 pm »
That's me confusing PP for building regs  ::)  it's under building regs section J  not PP. Sorry for the confusion  :dunce:

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 10:19:42 pm »
Above a certain kW output you need a dedicated room vent - you'd jeopardise your home insurance, saleability and health if you skipped this step

I think you missed the point of my post; there are stoves where the air is fed directly into the stove rather than the room.

Ah, I see!

Our stove is connected to an external flue and the vent is directly behind it, in the same place as your picture, more or less. Don't get any drafts
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 04:28:42 am »
Hi try david Haldane from Callander he is a registered chimney sweep and installer look up tartan timber on the net. He has done all our fires.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 01:19:42 pm »
did i misunderstand something here - you have to get permission for a new woodburner? or to connect it to your heating?  ???

I think there is a bit of confusion between planning permission and building regs. As far as i know you don't need PP unless you were installing a new chimney or flue on a listed building or in a conservation area.

A new wood burning installation is subject to Building Regs or as an alternative needs to be installed by a HETAS registered installer.

That's my understanding anyway!

That would make sense for us then - as our engineer was HETAS registered which is why the subject was never raised.  I guess the building regs is just to get it signed off to ensure safety if the installer isn't registered?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 01:21:13 pm »
Anyone know what the  Council charge for retrospective Building regs inspection?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 12:38:21 am »
Anyone know what the  Council charge for retrospective Building regs inspection?

Depends on the amount you spend on the works. It's higher than it would otherwise be... been there!
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 08:28:36 am »
Something that most seem to have missed is that he is connecting it to a water system....
If you do it yourself, then be sure you know what you are doing... you must have some way of venting excess heat / temperature or you may cause a large problem when your system goes bang and makes its own vent :innocent:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 09:45:07 am »

Thanks guys,

Nicandem - don't worry, I design industrial pressure relief and control systems as part of my job, so I know not to box water into a corner and then make it angry!  That's one of the problems we have with our current system in that if the electricity fails we have to go and run a bath to stop it from rocking and rolling. Should be easily enough sorted with some heat-leak radiators though.

Doganjo - That is one I CAN answer, since we have just finished some building work started by the previous residents here and so had to get it signed off retrospectively. The fee we paid was 125% of the standard fee for the work - see the table half way down this page for costs.

Summary of what I've understood from you all so far then:

• Planning permission is not required unless you're installing a new chimney
  • In England you must comply with part J of the building regs and have the installation done and signed off by a HETAS registered tradesman.
  • In Scotland you have to comply with the Scottish BSA technical handbook and/or part J (not sure which, but the SBSA guidance doesn't seem anywhere near as clear as part J!). You don't have to use a HETAS tradesman, but if you don't, you'll need to apply for a building warrant and have the installation inspected by building control.
  • Applicances over 5kW in old buildings need an extra hole in the wall. It is more efficient to duct this straight into the stove to reduce draughts.
  • Connection to a heating circuit requires an open vent for pressure relief and a way to dissipate excess heat (e.g. in a power cut).
Anything I've missed or misunderstood?  :thumbsup:

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 10:20:46 am »

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 10:35:17 am »
iv just replaced my stove and chimney iv took all the double flu out and put steel so i can burn more rubish the other liner  burnt throu .I also make the stove this his haw far iv got its based on a jotul but more pawer window in the doore and wheel for the draft im having the legs turnd so it looks good the cast stuff cracks when high winds hits .
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:39:11 am by Victorian Farmer »

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 11:04:24 am »
Hey Womble - I have not put in my own stove but put in my own chimney liner for a stove which was already here without a liner, and subsequently we got stove guys to put in a new stove and they said what I'd done looked OK. The practicalities of putting in the liner were a little daunting, and were made worse by the fact that there was a lot of snow on the ground (and roof) at the time. I had been up to measure the diameter of the chimney pot then ordered the diameter of liner which just fitted this as I assumed this was the narrowest point - I think it was 20cm liner - I assumed that wider was better though the stove guys said this is not necessarily the case - Narrower I suppose gives more draw. I ordered all the stuff over the internet. For the actual installation I used a roof ladder to get up the extension roof and from there climbed the main house roof which has a lower angle to it, belayed myself to the chimney stack and then pulled up the liner with rope I had tied to it (having cleared the snow from the roof and allowed the remnant to melt in the sun). A long length of liner is quite heavy and difficult to manoevre and it is quite easy to kink if turned at too sharp an angle. It needs to go the right way round but this was well marked. It did fit into the chimney Ok but I had assumed it would get past the angulation half way down the chimney - there is a type of nose-cone you fit onto it - it took a lot of manipulation to do this - with Cheryl tugging on a string attached to the nosecone which dangled down into the fireplace. Eventually it went in - by that time I was pretty hypothermic and at the point of giving up - it was then relatively easy to fix it to the chimney pot at top and trim it to to fit at the bottom. I fastened a piece of fireproof board across the bottom of the chimney with a hole for the stovepipe to go through - this again was a bit tricky for someone of my limited DIY skills.
Getting the chimney liner down the chimney was definitely the hardest and probably most dangerous part - having climbing equipment and being used to rockclimbing definitely helped here - I can imagine in some circumstances scaffolding would be needed - our roof is relatively easy to get onto - a narrower liner would have helped, and also more assistants - probably 3 people would be best - one at the chimney, one to help guide the liner, one at the fireplace. Also communication can be difficult.
Just wrote this to let you know about some of the practical difficulty in getting a liner down. I don't know too much about all the regs etc though discussed these with our stove guys. We went with plain heater rather than anything to do water as well so not sure about all that stuff.
Simon

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 12:03:29 pm »
David Womble  - another question.  The stove agents have surveyors who can sign it off for me, will I still have to do building regs as well? .Or can I just do the Building regs?  the surveyor is going to be £150 so I don't want to do both if I don't have to.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 12:12:25 pm »
Good look Anne, they seem to find a charge for everything, we paid out a small fortune for our annex then decided not to go ahead, strangely our annex is being done up as it is and is fine.. :fc:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 12:24:57 pm »
Annie - if it's for a stove, you either need a qualified HETAS engineer to sign off the install, OR building control, not both.

I'm only going down the building control route because I want to do a DIY install, since I refuse to pay the price of a small car to get the professionals in!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 12:27:05 pm »
It was installed by my local DIY man, not Heras so I'll ditch the surveyor chappie - he hasn't contacted me in 6 weeks anyway.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS