Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Giving up (almost) everything must go Nr Dumfries  (Read 11499 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Giving up (almost) everything must go Nr Dumfries
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 03:22:25 pm »
Just seen this post.  How horrible for you.  Many good ideas.  In a year's time all will have been sorted out and you'll have a different perspective on this period of your life - it's just the teeth-gritting you have to go through to get to that point .....

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 07:18:10 pm »
I, too have just seen this post.  So sorry - it must be loads of worry and hassle.  Hope things all work out for the best. 

A while ago I was ill and decided I couldn't cope with my little flock of Black Welsh Mountains and sold the lot on.  After a couple or three years when I was feeling better I contacted the guy and asked if I could buy them back.  He had loads of their offspring so was happy to sell them back to me and I started again - feeling I might add, much refreshed and raring to go.

Interesting thing was I sold him about 8 and when I went to collect them he had kept their offspring plus bought some others in and there were about 50 racing round an old orchard.  I stood in the middle and gave my call and my girls stopped and walked towards me.  Rather heart warming I thought, I wouldn't have expected sheep to have that long a memory.  Anyway they came back with me and were the basis of a new flock
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 11:18:05 pm »
very true dark brown eggs i sold some stock over 12months ago and seen 3 in carlile shouted them and over they come.

Rosieb

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 11:21:27 am »
Thank you all for your kind messages, it makes me feel a bit better that I'm not the only one that has gone through this and yes although I feel exhausted now I know it will make me a stronger person and have surprised myself at how well I've got through it so far.

I have looked at a couple of the long term farm business tenancy's but the problems with them are first you have to jump through hoops to get one, second the length of time it takes for the owners to make decisions as to who they deem suitable, there are a lot of restrictions as to what is permitted on the farm most won't allow pigs for example, they are very expensive (especially when you are dictated to as to what is and what isn't allowed) it has to be run their way and most these days are for new entrants only, so for me they just aren't an option.

If push really comes to shove I will have to put livestock through the markets although I want to avoid this at all costs as what I have left now are really pets and I would hate to put them in that environment, any of my commercial stock has already gone through the mart, I would never put my ponies in an auction ring.

Hopefully I've found homes for a few of my animals so far and new adverts are going out today so keeping my fingers crossed x

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 02:57:49 pm »
Hi Rosie  :wave:

Looks like your keeping your spirits up - I have some idea about how you are feeling & you need to allow yourself time to grieve too  :'(
I  so agree with you about the Mart - I had to put my 2 stud boars through a Mart - it was an awful experience, when the bidding started I just fled out the building & couldn't go back in  :'(  I think the worst thing is not knowing where they are going or how they are going to be treated  :(
It is really difficult to rent land for pigs too, don't know why coz folks are keen enough to rent for horses & TBH I think they make more of a mess, especially when it's overgrazed & not managed well- buttercups & dock everywhere  ::)   
We've got a couple of fields down here now for our pigs & my OH is slowly rebuilding her rare breed poultry, so we try & focus on the future & enjoy the animals we have.  Things often look better when it's  :sunshine:  too.
I hope you get loads of nice folk wanting your animals & you get some offers of fostering too  :fc:
In the meantime  :hug:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 10:37:29 pm »
Hi sorry to hear that you having to move, is a shame you so far away from us as we been looking for some kune kune girlys for our boy.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 07:51:34 am »
Hi sorry to hear that you having to move, is a shame you so far away from us as we been looking for some kune kune girlys for our boy.

You may be able to find some here http://board.britishkunekunesociety.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=1f49483c102f2378e6cc3e8c4f21c410  it may also be worth dropping Wendy an email, as she coordinates the BKKPS rescue programme secretary@britishkunekunesociety.org.uk
Your boy would probably be ok having a castrate for company too, I usually keep a castrate or 2 to keep my boys company when they're not "working".
Hope you find some company for your boy soon   :thumbsup:
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 08:24:36 am »
Very hard for you ,I hope your animals find good homes.  :fc:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 05:54:36 pm »
I would love to foster a wee shettie but I'm not an actual smallholder so I don't have a holding number? I'm just an enthusiast! I've been looking for a wee pony on loan or cheap to buy to get my little girl used to ponies before she gets any older. Frankly I'd love to take the whole lot, I very much want to start my own smallholding but finances don't want to let me :)

Do you have other horses or donkeys, cos they do need company of their own kind under the welfare code? Maybe TWO shetties :-)))))

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 06:28:40 pm »
Ooh well it sounds meant to be then :-DDDD

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 09:48:44 pm »
iv put lots of sheep cattle and hens out for people thinking of starting with things .I no its trust .IV even helped with pens if i put 6 hens and a cock birds i can increase and make changes to  breeding etc .i gave 3 geese to a small holder on here and forgot who they were .I had a pm last week iv got some young stock for you from you re geese great .

Hey VF, it was me you gave the greese to.  They are doing well and have hatched 6 goslings so the flock is growing.
Thanks again.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 11:19:47 pm »
just fantastic some bodey said you had bred the geese .im doing pilgrim so next spring il sort some eggs all the best

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 08:24:27 pm »
Just to Update, Rosie B was kind enough  :hug: to let us have the two girl sheepdogs :dog: :dog:  and we have also bought the  6 Herdwick lassies with their 3 wether lambs :-))) :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:  They will (after quarantine) join our Shetlands who will probably blank them for 'looking weird or something' :-DD

Thankyou RosieB for placing your trust in us, we promise to live up to it and give the dogs a really good and loving permanent home. (thanks also to OH who is driving them here!!).

If anyone else on the forum hasn't yet seen RosieBs ad and is looking for stock in Scotland,  just scroll up to the top of this thread for details of the animals available, (due to unforeseen circumstances outside RosieBs control).

NetherBrae

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 10:33:45 pm »
Would it be possible to post an up to date list of who is still looking for a new home? Thanks

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 11:18:47 pm »
Hi I just read your post..not been on here for a while due to a similar situation with a dodgy landlord, I'm now evicted and my landlord has made my partner bankrupt pursuing money that he wasn't due..anyway that's by the by my problem and upset today is that due to a speeding motorist I lost my sheepdog/pet today.  Have your dogs now gone? I need one that loves to work and other dogs and kids.  If I'd read your post earlier I'd have suggested contacting the Forestry Commision in Ae, I know that they had a lot of land not so long ago that they were struggling to rent out, some lowland and some rougher. Life's just too hard sometimes but you just have to get the next day and try to make it better. :'(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS