Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Giving up (almost) everything must go Nr Dumfries  (Read 11438 times)

Rosieb

• Joined Feb 2012
Giving up (almost) everything must go Nr Dumfries
« on: July 04, 2013, 11:53:50 am »
Hi Everyone
Sadly I'm giving up.
This is not a decision that has been take lightly and probably the most difficult I've made in a long time but the farm I rent has been repossessed by the bank after my landlord disappeared 4 months ago.  I have now been evicted by the bank and have just 3 weeks to leave.
I have found another place but it's only a smallholding with just 10 acre, I have tried and tried to get some extra land but have had no luck so I have had to make the very difficult decision as to who goes and who stays.
So I have for sale:
Dexter cattle:
6 in calf pedigree registered cows - in calf to my pedigree registered bull non short although they are all tiny!
2 pedigree registered cows with calves at foot
2 pedigree registered heifers - last years calves
1 pedigree registered bull - 2 year old proven very quiet nice boy
Sheep:
14 pedigree registered Ryeland ewes some with lambs at foot
3 pedigree registered Ryeland ewe yearlings
6 unregistered herdwicks
1 pedigree registered Ryeland Tup - 2 year old proven very very tame like a dog really lovely boy
Various other mule ewes with lambs at foot
Pigs:
3 Kune Kune sows - FREE TO GOOD HOMES
Ponies:
Various registered and unregistered Standard and mini Shetland ponies
Dogs: FREE TO GOOD HOME
1 collie bitch approx. 6 years can work
1 collie bitch 1 year just been put with livestock and keen to work
1 collie dog 1 year just been put with livestock and keen to work
I may have equipment for sale also and will add this once I have been through everything and had a good sort out.
Holding number required
Please PM me for prices but please no time wasters this is a very difficult sale.
Location Nr Castle Douglas, Dumfries & Galloway

Victorian Farmer

Re: Giving up (almost) everything must go Nr Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 12:05:09 pm »
i hope things go well im having problems as well a nice lot of stock .

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 12:13:35 pm »
Hi Rosie  :wave:  I really feel for you  :bouquet:  we went through something similar a couple of months ago when my partner was made redundant & we had to move back to our house in Wales.  It's awful trying to decide who goes & who stays, especially when you have built-up your stock & keep relatively small numbers, so you know each individual animal so well - I still get upset thinking about them  :'(

Have you tried advertising through the various Breed Societies, as it is often the first place interested folks try when looking? 
All the best for a new start  :hshoe:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Rosieb

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:18:20 pm »
Thanks Victorian Farmer, it's a nightmare isn't it!
It wouldn't have been half so bad if I'd have known what was going on months ago, it would have given me time to organise something but when the bank turn up on your doorstep with just 6 weeks notice you find yourself living on a wing and a prayer.
I have been lucky to find the smallholding (in fact there was 2 to choose from) but they don't have anywhere near enough land to support all of my livestock and I'm at the stage where I'm questioning why I keep fighting to keep going with it at all!
Anyway, fingers crossed I will find good homes for everything

Rosieb

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 12:21:17 pm »
Hi Beewyched
Thanks for your reply, nightmare for you too  :hug:
Yes, it's hard they are like family but I've put it off as long as I can and I'm pushing it now for time so my backs against the wall and they have to go.
I'm just in the process of writing ad's now for breed societies and other places too 

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 12:26:07 pm »
in the long run its mid summer and you have 6 weeks to plan and sort .Think it could be October dark at 3.30 etc .You will be stronger after all this .And there is some supper small holders who will love and look after you re stock .You might next spring get back some of you re stock when sorted all the best .

Rosieb

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 12:37:01 pm »
Thanks Victorian Farmer you are right and I had thought to myself if theres one thing I should be thankful for it's that it's summer.
I have just 2 weeks left now as I've spent the last 4 finding somewhere and trying to negotiate extra land.
I hadn't thought of putting anything out "on loan" so many be I should also add I'd be happy to loan out cow's, sheep, ponies don't know what the legalities are regarding loaning out cows and sheep so any advice would be much appreciated  :)
But anyone interested in starting with cattle and sheep but not wanting to bite the bullet and buy could try having them on loan for a while and see if it's for them

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 12:46:47 pm »
Might be a good idea - the loan - for anyone with excess grass  :eyelashes:

The cattle and the sheep could go together since they complement each other grazing wise.

Anyway, lots of  :hug: - rotten thing to happen but hopefully something will turn up.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 01:04:42 pm »
iv put lots of sheep cattle and hens out for people thinking of starting with things .I no its trust .IV even helped with pens if i put 6 hens and a cock birds i can increase and make changes to  breeding etc .i gave 3 geese to a small holder on here and forgot who they were .I had a pm last week iv got some young stock for you from you re geese great .

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 01:14:30 pm »
May be interested in loaning some sheep if they could be delivered all the way up to Fife ..... no promises though. We have a flock of 50 commercial types on loan at the moment but they can't keep up with the grass growth. The guy who owns them is local though and does the majority of the care himself so it would be a big step. We have no handling equipment etc. Will need to think long and hard and of course discuss it with the other half.

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 01:31:11 pm »
May be interested in loaning some sheep if they could be delivered all the way up to Fife ..... no promises though. We have a flock of 50 commercial types on loan at the moment but they can't keep up with the grass growth. The guy who owns them is local though and does the majority of the care himself so it would be a big step. We have no handling equipment etc. Will need to think long and hard and of course discuss it with the other half.

Scrap that, hadn't thought about the logistics of it - we wouldn't be able to mix the 2 flocks due to disease risk etc. so it just wouldn't work. Sorry!!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 01:36:17 pm »
Feel for you.  Just starting up here and would hate to go through that.  Would love some of your Dexters but you are just too far away.

best wishes

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 02:20:08 pm »
The Dexter Cattle Society might be able to help with the cattle.  :fc:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 04:08:11 pm »
I'm really sorry, that's such a horrid situation to be in and totally out of your control :-((((( I hope things go a lot better at the new place for you.

I will send you a pm re dogs, hope that helps a bit :-)

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 04:56:50 pm »
There was a property Nr Castle Douglas - Corsock Farms that was advertised with Smiths Gore to let on 15yr agreement. It has however been withdrawn while the Absolute Right to buy is to be debated as the vendor is fearful of losing acreage. It was about 700 acres with various buildings. Might be a long shot as I don't know the circumstances of the vendor and whether they occupy the land themselves but they may have some spare acreage on a short term agreement while they decide what to do long term.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS