Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Labrador with arthritis  (Read 33862 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Re: Labrador with arthritis
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 02:51:51 pm »
Free swimming is a  big no no for elbow probs. It needs to be hydro via a water treadmill. The water is tepid. Free swimming puts a lot of strain on the back and elbows and should be avoided at all costs. Most qualified hydro therapists are moving away from pools as they can do more harm than good.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 04:06:59 pm »
I am suprised funkyfish, mind you, ours do not have a problem.......

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 01:32:54 pm »
wev been trying different meds but not much difference really. hes about to start injections to see if that helps.
the vet saw him again today and thinks by his muscle wastage and poor flexibility he is lame on all legs, severely in one front and very severely in the other front. i had a feeling he was saying to put him to sleep but i wasnt sure.
he said we should get 5 xrays just to see whats what - has anyone idea how much 5 xrays would cost?
i think he is diagnosed already so not sure if xrays are needed, except to confirm what we already know.
i dread the thought i having to put him to sleep, i hate crying infront of people and id never manage to carry him back out to the car.  :gloomy: :gloomy:
fingers crossed the injections will make him happier as mentally hes loving life.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 03:00:37 pm »
Try getting some turmeric into his food, I used it on one of ours - she's so greedy she'll eat anything - the results were amazing. I was actually testing it to see if I was imagining the improvement in my own pain, the theory being that the dog wouldn't know it was supposed to help her so any result would prove the theory.
Turmeric has been used in ayurvedic medicine for centuries as an anti-inflammatory and as a bonus, it helps protect the stomach from ulcers if you are using NSAIDs.
It might help augment the pain relief he is getting from his meds but even if it doesn't help, it won't do him any harm.
Good luck to him and you anyway, hope the treatment makes his life better.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 03:20:23 pm »
I'd get a physio assessment ASAP, they can do a lot to help with range of movement etc. I've found acupuncture to work really well for arthritis pain. Have you tried Pardale- V and or Tramadol?

X-rays at this stage would only tell you how bad and where, academic at this stage really. At my practice it would be £300-400 ish for an hours anaesthetic and set of x-rays for lameness- ie 2 legs and one to two joints (2 views of each joint)- 4-5 x-rays. I'd save your £ for physio personally.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 03:29:35 pm »
Did you try the glucosamine and chondroitin?

It really can make an amazing difference. You have to give enough and give it a few weeks to start working, but it can turn around bad, painful joints (ask my mum!). For a fraction of the cost of x-rays.....

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 04:45:49 pm »
Did you try the glucosamine and chondroitin?

hes just gone onto them, plus Cod liver oil, and green lipped mussell, as mentioned by the vet. i think we will try everything for 3 mths and see how things are. will try turmeric too, thankyou.
hes been on loxicom and carprieve but neither is better than the other so hes going to start regular injections of something aswell but i cant remember what its called.
the vet came and saw him at the farm so he could see genuinely how lame he is as in the surgery he acts like a daft puppy and rolls over. he was quite taken aback at how sore he was.  i wish he could speak as hes soo happy with life but he must be in pain with every step. the vet did say there is no chance of him being pain free for the rest of his days. there is alot of muscle wastage that i didnt really notice before but i cant feel it now - on his diagonal pair of hip and elbow and alot of thickening on his joints. plus his thighs are too small for his build which probably means his hips hurt, and therefore is lame in every leg.
he does gallop and swim etc so how do you know when enough is enough? hes only 8. its so young.
where do you start with looking for physio? we are in aberdeenshire.
thanks

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 09:50:27 am »
I think there is a place at Newmachar
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 11:11:49 am »
I think there is a place at Newmachar

what is it called please?
i dont quite understand how physio will help a bone/joint problem as surely the bones are grating together etc and the damage is done? the vet did say if he had an operation at 18mths old, he wouldnt be so bad now but now its too late. although he was lame at 18mths - it was more a stiffness and unsoundness rather than limping.
i think we have 3 months to improve things as much as we can and then see.
thanks for everyones advice

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 03:41:21 pm »
 A physio will give you exercises to do that will build up the muscles to support the joints- so the muscles do more work and the joints less. Because he will be walking abnormally due to the pain ,it puts strain on to muscles not normally used and can cause them to spasm etc causing more pain. Physio relieves the spasm, and can help with improving the range of movement for the joint.

They also use hot and cold therapies and lasers for pain relief.

As a vet nurse, I don't fine NSAIDs like Meloxicam and carprophen )the drugs you have tried) work well for arthritis pain, a paracetamol and codine based drug like pardale-v seems to help a lot of dogs when the others do not. Also Tramadol is an opiod (like morphine, but not as strong), it is very good for moderate to severe arthritis pain. another new NSAID  Trocoxcil works a bit differently and we have had very good results with it- it is just a tablet a month.

You need to get on top of the pain wind up- hit it hard with strong drugs for a week or two, then you can taper them off and use a mild drug as maintenance unless you have a flair up etc.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 03:42:48 pm »
Your vet can refer you to a physio- try the ACPAT physio website -should be a list.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 05:36:41 pm »
Try getting some turmeric into his food, I used it on one of ours - she's so greedy she'll eat anything - the results were amazing. I was actually testing it to see if I was imagining the improvement in my own pain, the theory being that the dog wouldn't know it was supposed to help her so any result would prove the theory.
Turmeric has been used in ayurvedic medicine for centuries as an anti-inflammatory and as a bonus, it helps protect the stomach from ulcers if you are using NSAIDs.
It might help augment the pain relief he is getting from his meds but even if it doesn't help, it won't do him any harm.
Good luck to him and you anyway, hope the treatment makes his life better.
Do you just sprinkle the powder on food?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 05:46:10 pm »
Our black lab is pretty crocked - elbow dysplasia and suffered all his continuing life. He loves swimming but can get into trouble easily through tiring so now we have to keep him on lead by the rivers etc. We've controlled it well with Tramadol and Metacam up to now. I have only heard wonderful things about canine hydrotherapy though. I am considering it for Horsley. Warm water - they wear life jackets and are on raised floors and treadmills.

Acupuncture is a consideration too for temporary relief? Again, not tried it first hand but have seen the effects in other friends dogs (not big breeds however)

Best of luck
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 05:51:07 pm »
Last time I was in Buchan vets in Fraserburgh, they had a flyer on their wall for a hydrotherapy centre.  Can't remember where it was but I'm sure if you gave them a call they could tell you.

I once had a GSD with hip dysplaysia and I used to take her swimming to a dog pool once a week.  It worked wonders for her.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 08:23:02 pm »
Oh dear - why oh why do people not ask to see the health test results - For Labradors it is ALWAYS Hips and elbows and eyes!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS