Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Labrador with arthritis  (Read 33869 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Labrador with arthritis
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 08:34:25 pm »
Oh dear - why oh why do people not ask to see the health test results - For Labradors it is ALWAYS Hips and elbows and eyes!

i know. we got this dog 2nd hand as his owners were getting divorced, and he was from a friend of a friend  :innocent: :innocent:

tonight he was jumping up like a puppy so maybe he isnt at deaths door just yet. i sure the vet was hinting that if it was his dog then he'd put him to sleep. a friend told me if he was feeling that bad he wouldnt want to eat.
iv no idea no idea but he starts his injections next week. i cant remember what they are called but they are regular ones.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 09:09:02 pm »
And will no doubt cost the earth.  Well done you for taking him on in the first place.  But the soap box is out again.  If there was a proper breeding licence(as opposed to an unregulated money maker for councils) and the conditions were that all recommended health tests were done prior to breeding, the dog world would be a far happier and healthier place. :rant:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 09:50:03 am »
Try getting some turmeric into his food, I used it on one of ours - she's so greedy she'll eat anything - the results were amazing. I was actually testing it to see if I was imagining the improvement in my own pain, the theory being that the dog wouldn't know it was supposed to help her so any result would prove the theory.
Turmeric has been used in ayurvedic medicine for centuries as an anti-inflammatory and as a bonus, it helps protect the stomach from ulcers if you are using NSAIDs.
It might help augment the pain relief he is getting from his meds but even if it doesn't help, it won't do him any harm.
Good luck to him and you anyway, hope the treatment makes his life better.
Do you just sprinkle the powder on food?

I mixed it with cream cheese initially as it tends to suck the moisture out of your mouth and make you gag. I think in the end I was just mixing it with the gravy in her food, once it became apparent that the greedy madam would eat it no matter what I thought it tasted like  :yum:
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 04:59:33 pm »
just a quick update incase anyone is going through the same -
things are 100% better at the moment, although he is till lame. he is exuberant, shiny coat and looks fit and well so what he is on is definitely making him happier.
he is still lame, id say 2 out of 5 rather 3 out of 5 (if 5 was most painful) but its look more bearable now, not quite so nippy.

he is still on loxicom.
hes also on Cod liver oil capsules,  glucosamine and chondroitin, and green lipped mussell capsules too. this are doing some good as he is glowing, shiny coat and acting like a puppy. hes 32kg so not fat for the big boned dog he is.
he is getting Cartrophen injections every week for 4 weeks (they are £13 each (so not ridiculous price - phew) and there is a marked difference with the first week. hopefully after the 4 week course, he may last 6-12mths before he needs a top up.

fingers crossed.
what im concerned about is when we move, we are highly likely to end up on one of scotlands islands, so weekly vet visits are not a possibilty. we will have to cross that bridge when we come to it (no pun intended)  ::)

im seeing other dogs are on metacam for arthritis so im wondering why we havent been offered that?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 06:39:43 pm »
Loxicom and metacam do much the same job - like Ibuprofen for humans.  Pain killer and anti-inflammatory
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 07:40:42 pm »
That's great shygirl :thumbsup: ;D

Had loads of old labs and flatties (dad's retired gundogs). Arthritis came to most of them sooner or later but most were kept quite comfortable with drugs. Ours were often treated with Metacam but also remember giving them PLT. Could be that PLT isn't given anymore ..... about 8 years since my last oldie.

I kept the weight off them .... more strain on those legs! And also was told to exercise little but often .... so lots of short walks each day. Made sure I always dried them well if they got wet and good soft beds.

If it comes to it, when you move, maybe you could give the injections. My neighbour injects his collies when their vaccinations are due (boosters). Vet supplies the drug and he injects in the comfort of his own farmyard  ;D  .... less stressful than 20 collies to the practice ..... probably true for the dogs, the owner and the vet.  ;D

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 08:02:50 pm »
 :thumbsup:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 09:07:43 pm »
Oooooo, just thought shygirl. Does this mean you're back to hiding the shoes and wellies?  ;D

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 10:36:18 pm »
yes, all our shoes are kept up high in the kitchen - it looks very strange but it costs fortune to keep replacing them  ::). the time someone forgets it will be be chewed, the terrier has took the place of the labrador tho for chewing. he chewed my remote controller today - very bad boy  :rant: :-J

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 10:59:28 pm »
Glad to hear the old boy is improved.

The advice about exercise little and often is right - and gentle, too - your boy sounds like he wouldn't be trying to run or jump, but sometimes they still do.  When arthritics, it's crucial that they warm up with gentle exercise - walking or slow trot - for 15 mins before doing anything more strenuous.  (Why oh why can't I make myself do this???  ::))

I used to have Rimadyl (spelling prob wrong) on hand for my old boy.  I'd give him that if I knew we had a heavy day coming up, and/or if he'd overdone it.

The other thing I was told was to cut out the cod liver oil when they were on glucosamine.  Wish I could remember why, something to do with blood - thickening or something?

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2013, 01:41:29 am »
 :wave:how much turmeric to give?

Also, my vet dissed glaucosamine and said there was no scientific evidence but there was for evening primrose oil...

I've just bought Fred Dene's green tablet after a recommendation from a friend with a really arthritic Labrador.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2013, 06:55:56 am »
Also, my vet dissed glaucosamine and said there was no scientific evidence but there was for evening primrose oil...

There may be no scientific evidence that glucosamine works but there is also no scientific evidence that it doesn't, and a whole host of people, myself included, who have seen improvements in their dogs when using it.  Incidentally, I started my old boy on it on the recommendation of my vet ;)

Oh, and a whole host of doctors tell their aging patients to use it too.

But clearly your vet knows best, with his/her degree and all. ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2013, 07:53:15 am »

I've just bought Fred Dene's green tablet after a recommendation from a friend with a really arthritic Labrador.

Old Infantry saying: "If it's stupid and it works...... it's not stupid"  ;D ;D

What's the scientific evidence for Fred Dene's green tablet???
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2013, 08:30:16 am »
i added the cod liver oil but the vet recommended everything else. 
he is exuberant and copies our terrier by jumping up 5ft with all 4 legs off the ground when its walk time, but he only goes around the farm /pond and misses the 5 mile beach walks.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2013, 05:15:41 pm »
We give our lab no bute everyday on her food that seems to help.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS