Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Labrador with arthritis  (Read 33871 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Labrador with arthritis
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2013, 10:07:30 am »
hes alot better again today. obviously still lame but jumping up again and pooing without crying.
maybe he pulled his back again - thats 5 times this year.
what would cause a sore back ? im wondering if our mule maybe stamped on him without me seeing (she does chase the dogs with an aim to trample then), as hes only had steady walks this last fortnight.
i was very close to putting him to sleep now not sure what to do.

i think xrays are the way to go as not knowing is the difficult bit.
thanks for the advice

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2013, 11:39:48 am »
Could it be his hips or one hip?   So glad.  things appear to have improved :fc:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2013, 09:39:41 pm »
Was so wary of looking at the latest entry by you SG. So so relieved he's got a second wind.  :relief:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2013, 10:41:15 pm »
Years ago I had a Great Dane in bad pain crying and lying down.  The vets were involved for over a week with no response (I had the one vet out 3 times in one night!!!)

Suddenly I realized it was his back that was the problem.  At the time I had back troubles (cow had jumped on me) and was visiting a McTimoney chiropractor.  Asked his to check the dog.  There were some vertebrae out in her back.  He sorted it and she was jumping fences again before long.

Over the years she often put it back out again and I took her back to the McTimoney Chiropractor to be sorted.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2013, 12:40:13 am »
Sounds like a back problem to me. I use turmeric on Pitstop who is a 10 year old Shetland pony. he did the splits one winter a few years ago and its now a long term injury. Vets just give bute  but after hearing about turmeric on facebook ( there is a group ) I thought I would give it a go. Started with a small teaspoon in his feed now has 2. the improvement in his well being is amazing so much so that I am going to try it for myself. people also use it on their dogs. pitstop only had to have a roll in the field and he was back to being crippled with pain. Not only does can he roll but canters and bucks.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2013, 10:16:27 am »
 Turmeric ? as in the spice?  That sounds promising...I have loads of that too!!!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2013, 10:22:34 am »
hes definitely back to his old bouncy self now. i was so close to putting him to sleep its scary cos i hate seeing something suffering.
apart from this year, his only symptoms have been lameness, but hes been in pain with his back (i imagine) 5 times in 11 mths. i wonder if he he is walking funny to compensate his lameness and that is triggering it off.
whats the best plan now, as my head is a bit in a spin.?

xrays? or find an alternative therapy?

im off to physio for my daughters sore back today......the irony.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2013, 11:14:42 am »
I was going to ask about your daughter...so much going on in  your life no wonder your heads in a spin...good luck and glad the dog is better!!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2013, 11:20:37 am »
Having spent money on a chiropractor for my 8yr old setter, who told me she had bad hips, I eventually took her to the vets for x-rays.  Vet said her hips were some of the best he'd seen on a setter - but she had a boney bridge forming between 2 vertebra.    So for me the alternative therapy was a waste of money and still had to get xrays done,  but I'm sure some chiro's are worth it.  This chap was highly recommended too!
Hope your daughter's ok, and glad the dog is more comfortable.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2013, 11:57:14 am »
Hi - I know it sounds wacky, but have a look at TTouch - I think it relaxes them and helps them when in pain - it is basically you with your fingers doing a circle and a quarter gently all over the body - I know if I was in pain and someone spent some time gently massaging, i would feel better!

http://www.ttouchtteam.co.uk/ for the info on TTouch and if you want to have a chat with someone who is brilliant with animal problems, then contact Fiona habershon - I'm sure she would be happy to give you some advice over the phone - www.fionahabershon.com

With the medication - my dog is on metacam and it definitely helps.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2013, 05:47:49 pm »
thanks
ref my daughter back - physio reckons it down to bad posture, so thats easily resolved - i wish they had said that 5 months ago as i studied alexander technique for a while. but its all good.

finally got some rent off my dodgy tenant so i can book the dog in for xrays now. will let you know the results once its done.

:thumbsup:  :excited:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2013, 06:04:07 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  ALL GOOD  :wave:  There is a farmer after buying our house who has not had rent from some of his land since 1989..... :innocent:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2013, 11:27:19 pm »
Yes Happygolucky it is the spice.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2013, 08:24:11 am »
I am so interested as many herbs and spices are great as an alternative medicine, shall look into that!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS