Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kids born dead  (Read 10137 times)

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
Re: Kids born dead
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 08:25:41 pm »
 :wave: Thanks to all today - well needless to say the vet didn't turn up >:( . Mum seems okay - the string of blood has disappeared - I am still concerned that we have seen no afterbirth.

She let us take some more colostrum which I have bottled and it is now in the fridge. We also took the decision to give her an antibiotic - :fc: :fc: . I really feel for her - and those babies  :'( :'( .

Leaving the lights on in the barn until we go to bed then at first light we will be up to check on Mum and the other two who are also due. Quite tired now  :tired: . Let you know the news come the morning. x

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 09:05:51 pm »
4 sounds a lot and would have most definately put strain on her system. Sorry for her and for you, bad first experience, don't let it put you off, goats are usually easy peasy.  Do you know what happened first time around for her?  May be worth knowing for future reference.

All the best to you, a stressful day, we all undergo them somewhere along the line nelson  :hug:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 11:02:13 pm »
how common is 4 kids? sounds alot to deal with.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 11:28:56 pm »
Hope she is better in the morning. Could she have eaten the placenta?

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 10:02:45 am »
 :wave: Morning - we have called the vet out this morning - they said he would be here about mid morning.  :fc:  Mum was hanging her head this morning but responded to eating more willow and raspberry and have seen her have a drink.

I noticed that when she wee - blood was appearing again a bright red. She let me take colostrum from her again quite happily - she may well be on the road to recovery - but as I am new to goats we need vet to check her. In the confusion yesterday I didn't see the placenta.

Her history is that this is her second kidding - I think her first she had 2 and a good mum.  Her Mum who I also have with me had 4 last year for previous owner.

will let you know later what the vet says/does

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 10:59:15 am »
Why did vet not turn up the first time you called, pretty poor if they cannot come out and check an animal that may be at high risk.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 12:32:04 pm »
still waiting - they said they would try and get to us this morning - lunch time now so everything stops. Keep checking on Mum she seems fine - still crouching though and trying to pass something.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 12:45:24 pm »
Have you checked for a malpositioned kid?
The fact there has been no afterbirth and she is still straining, make me think it is possible there is another kid she is trying to deliver.
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 02:25:33 pm »
Hi BadgerFace - if I knew what to check for I would - I am in fear of hurting her - still waiting for the vet. she is okay but still straining. Monday is a bad day to call a vet out in France. so many large goat and pork farms to attend to - that we probably are at the bottom of the pile.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 02:35:48 pm »
Do you have a local experienced goat keeper or shepherd that could come and have a look for you? If the vet doesn't arrive soon, you will have to have a look yourself if there is no-one else to help.

Maybe try calling the vet again saying you think there maybe a stuck kid and your doe needs urgent help?
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 04:46:19 pm »
Hi there - well the vet and assistant came about an hour ago. They were very good and did a thorough examination. They said she had signs of cetose and Metrite (that may not be spelt correctly).

They said that her uterus was nearly closed - so the girl did the internal as she had the smaller hands. Mum was very good throughout. Couldn't find anything . They laid her down and tied her legs and administered by IV Calcium; Methio and Genikine and an anti inflam. Aureiomycine; Dexamedium.

sorry this may be the french names.

We are to give her for 5 days Hepatobione and Biocestose  dose by mouth.

Plenty of hay and granule.
My only concern is that he said to keep her on her own for a while - just hope she doesn't fret.
thanks for all your help - clearly we are not out of the woods yet. :fc:

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 06:15:53 pm »
Glad to hear the vet has been and examined her, and there is no stuck kid. The metritis will be the cause of her straining.
Hopefully with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs on board she will be feeling more comfortable and on the road to a speedy recovery. :fc: :goat:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 07:54:45 pm »
What is granule? If it is concentrates/hard feed/nuts or similar I would be careful to introduce too much of that too quickly. She needs lots of hay and I would normally start my nannies off on soaked sugar beet shreds, then introduce small handfuls of oats and increase those, and only after a few days start to give them dairy nuts, again starting with little and increasing, so that she is on a full milking ration after about two weeks post-kidding.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 08:00:14 pm »
Hi Anke - sorry granule = hard feed. Yes I will be careful.

I have just been given some fresh hay - cut about 3 weeks ago - would this be okay - my hay that I have been using is now a bit dusty. Could you tell me what is a lot of hay - ad lib?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 11:14:27 pm »
Hi Anke - sorry granule = hard feed. Yes I will be careful.

I have just been given some fresh hay - cut about 3 weeks ago - would this be okay - my hay that I have been using is now a bit dusty. Could you tell me what is a lot of hay - ad lib?

Yes hay ad lib, all the time anyway. I am not sure about feeding really fresh hay, BUT I have done it too in the past, when we raked up all the stuff the baler had left behind, and it lasted for nearly two weeks. Usually it is said to let hay "mature" for two to three months. However I don't think it will do her any harm... but maybe others disagree????

Hope your girl is going to be ok and as you already have lost the kids she will give you a good amount of milk! Just don't drink it until she is clear of all the medicines, if you have no clear milk withdrawal times I normally leave it 8 days until we drink it again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS