Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kids born dead  (Read 10138 times)

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
Re: Kids born dead
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 06:10:51 am »
Thanks Anke - I have only taken small amounts of colustrum from her - morning and night - being a newbie to this - is this enough?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 06:31:12 am »
In the first four days (and if she is not feeding any kids in particular) you would milk her until her udder is nicely soft, but not quite empty. I would normally take small amounts more than twice a day, especially if she lets you and make sure that the udder doesn't get hot/tight - mastitis danger. But if you strip her out straight away she will try and produce even more milk and the risk of milk fever is quite high. Normally the kids would take care of that in the early days, but even then you have to watch it as they often favour only one side or if only single kid there will be too much milk.

After about 4 days to a week you can start to strip her out. If you don't need all the milk and she is very thin/worn out/maybe not eating as well as she should you can see if she drinks some of her milk. I have only done this once to a nanny that had a difficult birth and wasn't eating, just to help her along - good for calcium intake.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 10:39:49 am »
Thanks for that really helpful - she is much much brighter today. she quite happily lets us take but it is very very little that she has - already soft so it is just a couple of squeezes . This will probably increase over time. she is eating hay and I am bringing her in some browsing bits and pieces to keep her interested.

Have a lovely day everyone  :sunshine:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 01:03:50 pm »
 :wave: Just thought I would give you an update on Mum - she is so much better and her milk is increasing. still on a course of anti biotic. Giving her plenty of different greens and hay to eat and she is now on a small amount of her usual goat nuts. We also have some dry beet which we have soaked for her too. She has also been out in the sunshine. I now wait for my other 2 goats to kid  :fc: :fc:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 02:01:16 pm »
:wave: Just thought I would give you an update on Mum - she is so much better and her milk is increasing. still on a course of anti biotic. Giving her plenty of different greens and hay to eat and she is now on a small amount of her usual goat nuts. We also have some dry beet which we have soaked for her too. She has also been out in the sunshine. I now wait for my other 2 goats to kid  :fc: :fc:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 07:13:06 pm »
Good news, Nelson.  :thumbsup:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 11:31:21 am »
Hi Nelson. Being in France to, please tell me the name of the feed you give your goats.Do you have Billy goats too and if so do they eat the same stuff? Also, where do you get it from, where are you in France? Mary.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 01:53:15 pm »
 :wave: Mary sorry for the late reply - got confused with passwords  :dunce: I am now signed in as my own (Lorraine) name ex Nelson) - anyway the goat feed we buy comes from our local CAVAC store - it is a granulae for lactating goats. We also buy some lucerne and can also buy beet granules. We live in 79200. A lot of goats here and loads of cheese ;D

It has been a month since my last post re Mum - she is still doing well and we have nearly 3 litres a day from her now. She looks bright and well - so I am hoping that she will be okay now. Not going to put her with the Billy this year though. I have made icecream and yoghurt and even given a little milk to our Berkshire piglets - who lapped it up and asked for more ;) and indeed who could ask for more - good old Mum  :love:

Now - my other 2 Sanaans have still not kidded. Grandmother has dropped and her udders have filled to the point of' it looks uncomfortable' - she has grazed the side of one and I have put some vaseline there. Now I am no expert as you know -  but would of thought she is due soon? I did try the udder carefully this morning and it seems to me like milk - watery. At what point is it colustrum? Her previous owner told me Grandmother gave them up to 12 pints a day  :o is that why her udders are huuuuuuge.
Daughter I am not sure if she is in kid. She is a first timer and I left her a little late. I think she is now coming up to 2 years. Her udders have swollen but more orange size.

Trouble is we didn't see the Billy with the girls. Anyway any advice re what else to look for - I guess it is just a waiting game...  BTW hope you are all keeping cool during this hot spell x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS