Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A little rant  (Read 5863 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
A little rant
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:37:18 pm »
Now...I'm quite a placid person, it takes a lot to get me riled. I don't think I ask or expect a lot out of life, I'm usually content with my little lot. But now, something is really annoying me. The thing is, we want another chook house The one we've got (which we bought over here) is  falling to pieces, bits are dropping off daily. I've seen the one I want, three different companies sell it at around the same price but not one of them will deliver it to us in France. They will deliver to the little islands off Scotland, or Eire but not to me who miles wise lives a lot nearer.
So now, I'm having to try and get the weight and dimensions of the flat packs so that I can get quotes from every man with a van that lives, but trying to get that information is like trying to get blood from a stone! One place quoted us £80 delivery for a similar house to the one we want but its not totally ideal. You know what you want when you see it don't you? So I'm getting a bit downhearted to be honest. I really want to get some more chooks as soon as possible, but I wont until I get the new house so that they all go into it new at the same time. Its times like this I feel really cut off from the outside world. Before anyone asks, you pay a fortune for inferior houses over here, and you cant get the large sizes that I want.
Rant over, and not a word about my OH!!!!!!!!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: A little rant
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:55:45 pm »
Is there no cheap sheds around? A lot of us find sheds much easier and cheaper, I gave my expensive yet not well made, hen hut away.....then got an 8ft x 6ft nearly new strong shed deliverd free as it was in a barn storing horse stuff...I miss out on stuff as we have no means of collecting big things but a man and a van may.....I suppose anyone comming over will still have to charge a bit.....ummmmmm, no wonder you are angry!!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:00:27 pm »
Make what you want Mary .
A few basic tools and you can make anything you want .
Making a shed is so easy and as cheap as you care to make it .

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 03:32:16 pm »
We got loads of vertualy new pallets, they were smooth as my bottom :innocent: , we made several log stores out of them and although I had to show my husband the way to do it, he was able to take over and made a great job, neither of us are either skilled or DIY people and our tools, although growing, are few and cheap...we did use the wall for strenght, then made the frame and found some wood posts to join them all together....I made a chicken run when we first had chickens and it was that tough and stood up to high winds, we had a job getting rid of it...I would love a go at making a log cabin...but I would prefer real logs......maybe my wish will come true soon :innocent:  anyway, its not too hard, just the doors I found the hardest but I did not have any!!!! :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 04:02:11 pm »
I don't know if this'll work...  but I'd be tempted to offer a night's B&B to any TASer who could bring your shed over, plus any additional costs (over and above their normal travel costs) incurred by transporting it  ;)  You just might get a nibble...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 04:37:20 pm »
Mary what are the dimensions your after?

Do you have any links to a place where you have seen similar to what your after?
Have you considered rough sawn timber locally sourced to make your own direct from the saw mill or plantation owner???
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 07:09:08 pm »
We think we have managed to sort something out, thanks to a friend of a friend who does deliveries to the UK and brings things back. Turns out, he only has half a load coming back, and the house we want is 25 mins from the ferryport he uses.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 08:24:18 pm »
i dont understand delivery prices. i was wanting to buy 12kg of soap the other day and it was cheaper to send it to germany from england, than to scotland. bizarre

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 09:28:58 pm »
Trouble is these days with us, OH used to make things at the drop of a hat. He made a brilliant goat house from a very large motor packing chest. Its a real des res for the boys. He is so breathless, he cant do anything like that now, so we have to buy new. We were going to go for a small shed, but then he would have to put the nesting boxes in plus a little door etc. This new one is top of the range with a pull out floor for easy cleaning. Its a Cocoon 6000w-2n that will take between 18-24 birds although Im only planning on a maximum of 8 plus Jethro.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 11:04:35 pm »
Is there perhaps a local craftsman who can make you your ideal house from a picture?  Obviously you don't need to do that now as you have found transport, but maybe another time.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 11:22:09 am »
Trouble is, by the time I've bought all the bits and paid him, the new house at £189.00 comes out almost as cheap. Our friend is bringing it over for a fraction of the cost of a courier company so its saved us loads.
Actually, MAK loves making things with wood, so if you're reading this, try making some henhouses and putting them on Ebay France. You'll make a FORTUNE!!!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 04:47:09 pm »
OH phoned the company re the chook house and spoke to this bloke who was right unhelpful!! We could buy the house and get our friend to collect it but he would have to take cash to the warehouse with him. Now, we live in France, so don't have sterling and there was no way I was letting my bank card out of the country!! They wouldn't let us pay by credit card or Paypal which was what we wanted to do.
So I went back to a house I saw originally which is just a tad smaller than the one I wanted, but is just as well made. I phoned the company and they sent us a Paypal invoice to make the payment, plus some documentation for our friend to take with him to their warehouse. All together, a much happier experience and good customer service. Our new house is called Nelly, froma company called Eggshell and its lovely!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 05:17:50 pm »
thats good.
i dont know if "Anyvan" operate in france but they can be handy when needing to shift things. iv used it a few times for shifting cars up to scotland.
glad you got sorted.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 05:51:15 pm »
Glad you got sorted. don't forget the piccies when it's installed.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 08:05:56 pm »
Our new Nelly!! We've also bought a double nesting box to go on the right side too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS