Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pretty poor season!!!  (Read 2082 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Pretty poor season!!!
« on: June 19, 2013, 01:15:20 pm »
I'm not usually 1 to complain but after a few years of stress - which I hope is coming to end, we have had to have had one of the most awful of seasons up until now where poultry keeping & breeding is concerned in chronological order we've had all this happen to us:

* Loads of runs to repair around mid autumn - got repairing for a few weeks & whacked my hand so unable to continue for a week. Followed by weeks of poor weather.

*Got 3 turkeys the 1 hen died after about 3 months. >:(

*The snow which seemed endless, followed by lambing (which I like) so the runs still weren't finished.....

*Fox visit in the 1st lot of snow killed 8 hens, later that week still in the snow the hens were being kept in & a mink / pole cat got in & killed the lot, the few we have now are living in the barn, our 1 drake at the time also got killed on the river.

*Had some good weather, still lambing but my other turkey hen gets found dead & half eaten by the river just after I got my 1st egg too!  >:(

*The dog eats my only remaining Barb D'Anver cockeral I wanted to breed from - Bad  :dog:!

*I finally track down 2 turkey hens after about 2 months  ;D

*The geese both mess around laying & go broody early so no eggs for the incubator as of yet & I think all the eggs are addled under them, 1 gosling however hatched under a hen  ;D - not the 15-20 birds we want for xmas though   :-\

*Dad broke the 1 shed door I fixed a week afterwards! Grr!

*Just after all the sheep are moved from the field where we keep the runs, I'm about to start fixing them & put duck eggs in the incubator, I fall down the stairs & tear a few ligaments in my right ankle so am on crutches for god knows how long! Not fun!

I suppose on the upside we have 1 hen with a gosling hatched & a hen with 6 chicks  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Pretty poor season!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:30:14 pm »
Oh gosh you have been through a bad time. Lets hope your luck is on the turn for the better now  :fc:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:06:56 pm »
I was only thinking to myself that my poultry enterprise has not been good lately, but compared to you, I have been very lucky.  Hope your luck changes for the better now!!

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 04:36:32 pm »
I do to at least I have youth on my side I'm starting to very lightly touch the ground & can use my toes to a point - but it means I can't drive or anything for weeks - at least I can revise & catch up on my books  ;D

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 04:41:16 pm »
You poor poor thing. I would have overdosed if all that had happened to me. Really hope you are back in fine fettle again soon. Good Luck!! :bouquet: :fc:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 06:18:36 pm »
well ass you no i breed a lot off poultry geese and turkey this season has been the worst ever i change the cockerels every 12 months i went to England and bought 3 good specimens and not 1 is fertile i didn't do geese or turkeys as the price of crumbs is not worth paying .So i have 6 chicks no stock rape and barley have been written of so no income this yare i also lost 70 percent of my bees and 60 ewes in the bad wether I'm thinking of taking a ye-re of and have a new start in 18 months .There is no positive with the crops and the wether and i dont wont to gamble eney more money has iv lost most of the income .The rare breeds are finished its just layers and you can get them for a tenner .

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 10:10:02 pm »
The people who think that smallholding is a nice easy life and envy those who do it (while sticking to their town houses and well paid jobs) ought to see this side of things.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS