Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Excited.  (Read 11825 times)

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
Re: Excited.
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 11:38:35 pm »
After todays results I think its gas mark 4 for 50 minutes and stick with hybrids!!!
Try to be the type of person your dog thinks you are!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2013, 11:52:07 pm »
After todays results I think its gas mark 4 for 50 minutes and stick with hybrids!!!
Stu, if ours are females and we get a cockerel too, you'll get more eggs to try in a few months time. Don't give up yet, Sue said they sometimes take longer than normal eggs - what day are yours on?

Same with David - don't throw them out too soon. Leave the incy on.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2013, 11:57:44 pm »
They hatched out last night Anne - don't think there are any more on the way but the incubator is still on. I will crack them tomorrow and check.  I have a five week old pair of Welsummers so hopefully they will give me a darkish egg instead of the Marans!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2013, 12:03:46 am »
Mine was sadly a complete disaster mate. Only got two out and both died about half an hour after coming out  :(
Beginning to think I am not destined to have Marans!!! Paid silly money for two young birds at Carlisle six weeks or so ago and one is a bloody egg eater!!!
Any idea why they died?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2013, 12:36:45 am »
One had its intestines out as it came from the shell and I don't know about the other. It was lying on its side when checked on later after hatching.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2013, 07:34:34 am »
well my number 6 definitely died in the hatching process, but the 5 look good now they are fully fluffed up!!!

quick question how long do chicks stay under heat roughly?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2013, 08:43:27 am »
My OH usually keeps hers under heat until they get their "proper" feathers - mind, depending on breed (& Marans are fairly robust) this time of year they'd possibly be ok for the lamp/leccy hen to be off in the day after about 2 weeks. 
Best thing to do is watch them - if they're spreading-out to the edges of their brooder - they're too hot / if they huddle - they're too cold.

Another great time-waster  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2013, 01:25:17 pm »
I'm sorry you lost all yours, Stu, but probably better than David losing ours - the kids would have been so disappointed and sad.  At least we have 5, hopefully some hens, then can maybe breed more?

Does Royal Mail use any equipment fro monitoring parcels?  Like X-ray fro instance, and could that have harmed them?

I know you're incubator is new so don't think it could be that.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2013, 03:10:51 pm »
Congratulations on your new arrivals. We have five ducklings in the kitchen. They are two weeks old and growing very well. But very messy and smelly, no matter how many times a day I clean them out, but great to watch.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2013, 11:41:06 am »
 :wave:

We hatched 4 out of 7 maran eggs. We picked our's up from Newark show (chose each egg ourselves) and from a reputable dealer.  Think it is often just how the eggs go!

I'm thinking I've got 2 girls and 2 boys, from looking at the wing feathers at 24 hours (will wait until they are old enough to be sure)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 08:34:54 pm »
Update

The 5 chicks are growing strong, never realised how noisy chicks could be, may have to rethink where they live soon (currently still in the living room)

The chicks did their first educational visit tonight popping into my sons Beaver Colony for a show and tell session (obviously with me in tow).

Our best guess is 3 boys and 2 girls from this hatching but looks like we have identified homes for all the boys so that is good news!!!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2013, 08:42:13 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2013, 08:53:06 pm »
Sorry about teh quality of the photos, meant to take my Fugi but forgot so the phone had to do the job.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS