Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducklings  (Read 1407 times)

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Ducklings
« on: June 11, 2013, 03:43:37 pm »
I have 20 ducklings that are growing like mad.  They are in a run netted over at the moment to stop crows and magpies having them for lunch.  Anybody know how big a duckling must be to stop them being killed or eaten by these birds?  I need to move them soon to make way for other broods which need a net.  They are 3 week old muscovy's with their mums at the moment. They will stay with their mums when l move them.  Any help please.

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Ducklings
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:02:19 pm »
I recently had a adult call duck killed by crows so that's the size they can go for... saying that our muscovey mum and drake were free ranging with last years brood as soon as they were feathered and I had no issues with bird attacks as both mum and dad were very protective of the youngsters.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:08:54 pm »
I was just wondering the same thing. I have three week old Cayugas, Aylesbury and Appleyards in the kitchen at the moment and they're enormous. I've just weighed a couple of them and the heaviest is over 800g (given that they couldn't have been much more than 70g when they hatched less than three weeks ago, that's quite some going). They're not feathered yet so I can't move them out unless it gets a bit warmer but it's starting to look a little ridiculous. I was wondering whether they're now safe from crows and rats. In my case they'd still be cat fodder so I do have to keep them reasonably secure but I do have places that could be cat proofed but probably not rat proofed.

H

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:34:51 pm »
Not had any experience of ducklings with their mums, but we've never lost chicks free-ranging with their mums - make sure they have plenty of cover - bushes etc for them to hid in if needed. 
When we were up in Scotland we had a problem with hen harriers - they decimated the blue tip population on the holding,  but the broodies seemed to keep all their chicks safe  :thumbsup:
Now cats ... they're another story  ::)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS