Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ooops - lost my neighbour's cockerel  (Read 2694 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Ooops - lost my neighbour's cockerel
« on: May 29, 2013, 11:51:03 pm »
 :-[

I'm in charge of their four bantams while they're away. Was told to let them out in the morning and then shut them in the run after they'd gone in at night. Decided it was too wet to let them out yesterday but let them out this morning. We were out all day and so I went over at 7ish this evening to check on them (they'd all gone in two days ago by that time). One was in but no sign of the other three (and it was pouring with rain which in the case of my chickens is enough to keep them inside). Went back half an hour later and the other hen had appeared and then I saw one cockerel hovering around by himself under a bush. He then came back in as well but the other one has disappeared entirely. Two further trips back - one at gone 9:30pm - and still no sign so I've had to shut them in. Could it be Mr.Fox? No sign of feathers or corpse - nothing. They have lost them before to foxes but only after dark as far as I'm aware.

Not quite sure how I'm going to break it to them....

H

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Ooops - lost my neighbour's cockerel
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:18:43 am »
 ???  Oh dear.....there is always a chance that he was up a tree or something..that is if you have trees around.
It seems a reccuring theme that animals get sick or something when thier owners go away, I think they do it on purpose......nothing much you can do but hope he turns up I suppose as its strange there are no feathers ???
Good luck :fc:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:14:52 am »
Could you get them to feed them inside at night to encourage them to go in?  Or if they have a light switch it on.  That's why mine go in early - as soon as it's dusk the light comes on and in they pop for their supper.  Works for the dogs too if I have to leave them in the run.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 12:06:37 pm »
Phew! He's back. Neighbour returned early this morning and spotted him in the other neighbour's garden. He was surprisingly relaxed about the whole thing.

Problem was I couldn't even see him. Mine always flock together and will follow food so they're easy to see and to lure inside their run. I had no idea where he was and he wasn't responding to calling.

H
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 01:06:00 pm by HesterF »

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:20:27 pm »
Thats great..... :thumbsup: , he had been visiting some other ladies then :innocent: .

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 01:07:29 pm »
As long as he hasn't been near my ladies, he's OK. Mind you, he's a fraction of their size so it would be an interesting liaison,

H

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 01:18:19 pm »
Arh bless  him, would love to see a photo.......I remember a funny confession on the radio, the owner of a house had left the neighbour to look after his pet Cockerel and chickens, while he went on his holidays, the son decided to use the neighbours garden to have a small Barbecue in as it was hot and sunny, the Cockerel was very interested in the activities and they started to noticed he also like the beer so they gave  him more.....then...the cockerel dropped to the floor so they all panicked but put him back in his shed and cleared up the garden very well. The next day, the boy went around to check and out from the shed came the wobbly cockerel...with a hang over!! :roflanim: seemingly non the worse for wear!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:51:37 pm »
 :D brilliant! I've heard a similar story for a drunken dog but would never have thought of a cockerel!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS