Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goose egg problem?  (Read 1375 times)

pitmanuk

• Joined Jan 2013
goose egg problem?
« on: May 30, 2013, 04:21:57 pm »
my goose has laid 5 eggs she leaves the nest for hours at a time. is it safe to say they are dude?

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: goose egg problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 04:28:34 pm »
If she hasn't been  sitting permanently beforehand, then its most probable that she's still building the clutch up and that that she'll lay more eggs. I'd leave them well alone.

pitmanuk

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 04:31:50 pm »
thank you

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 04:45:02 pm »
And when she does sit properly, it will go on so long you will think they are duff then too if you're like me and then 7 goslings will appear one morning :-))))

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 04:50:28 pm »
You may want to make sure there's no vermin nearby, we put out poison in bait boxes in careful locations.  Goose eggs are quite thick shelled and can be rolled quite a long way by vermin.  Also make sure there is nice soft grass or hay nearby she can use to cover them up with if they're showing.

Good luck!  Geese are not great parents by the way - most people take their young off them which I thought was a bit calous at first but actually it's what I'll be doing this year, they're just too dopey and forget about them or boot them with their big clumsy legs and feet (well ours are at least)  ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS