Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beans  (Read 4375 times)

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
Beans
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:01:22 pm »
Ive put my beans out a week or so ago the plants look good and robust now (lots of rain then sun) But they do look a bit yellow. Are they missing something?....they should have plenty of poo (1 year old horse+ straw) dug well in. Any Ideas ?

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Beans
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:03:33 pm »
What kind of beans? Don't know what the weather is doing down your way - but here I wouldn't dream of putting French beans out yet - broad beans are doing fine, and I just put the runner beans out while keeping all fingers crossed... it might just be too cold  yet.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:19:16 pm »
My French beans are still inside and won't be going out for a while. I lost the lot last year due to a late frost.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:01:41 pm »
I've put French Bean seeds in but they're yet to thrive (they have germinated though - also looking a bit yellow). I put my tomatoes and sweetcorn out a couple of weeks ago and they're definitely not looking happy. There's been no frost but it's not been that warm and it has been windy and rainy so I think it might be wind burn (if there is such a thing!).

Just contemplating the pumpkins going out but the forecast is still not that great (but today was wonderful and I've just had a big pile of well rotted manure dumped on my pumpkin patch so my fingers are itching to get pumpkin planting).

H

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:50:37 pm »
Personally I'd hang on to them for a bit as well.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:08:36 pm »
I'm just about to put my runner beans plants out. It's rare to have a frost in Somerset after the end of May but, if one is forecast, I just put some fleece over the plants at  night.

As for the yellowing, sometimes the seed leaves and the first true leaves do start to go a bit yellow, even if everything else is OK. I think it's just that they are a bit worn out. If the whole plant is going yellow it might be that the roots are not able to absorb the nutrients in the stable manure for some reason. Try giving them a bit of liquid feed and see what happens. :)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 04:59:25 pm »
Most of my "tender" plants go a little bit yellow initially until they get used to the soil I have alwys thought (or kidded myself). They soon take off...

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 09:50:57 am »
Thanks all....No Frosts here for a while and not likely now BUT it has been cold for here (a good 2/3 degrees warmer than UK though) All beans now out...I have to put the runners in the coolest bit of veg patch as it does get a bit hot (usually) for them. I use a lot of climbing French beans. Im trying a few other beans this year too..
Its a good job Ive got raised beds as we had so much rain last night that the paths in the veg patch are under water....no weeding today then!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 12:28:28 pm »
Same as Mel - it is usually too hot for runners and we have no shade. I have sowed green thin round french beans for salads and veg, flat french beans for red chilli beans and another variety for haricot blanc beans ( we hang the plants at the end of the growing season and the white beans dry in the pod).
There are a few canadian climbing "french" beans that I had success with but they need a good support system as they are heavy croppers.
Not sure that I will ever go back to runners as once in the kitchen they take time to prepare and their use in cooking is a bit limited ( freeze poorly too).
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 09:12:50 pm »
Re the yellow lower leaves....  It  might be the change over from pots to the real garden .

My beans went out on the 31 May and over the next week they yellowed considerably then as the roots took in the soil the rest of the plants have greened up nicely .. some of the flowers have even been pollinated and are showing the start of bean pods.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 10:48:06 pm »
Yellow leaves?
Not sure that it is due to transplanting as I planted seed direct to the plot and had a few yellow leaved plants amongst healthy looing ones.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS