Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clearing ground-docks and buttercups  (Read 2437 times)

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
Clearing ground-docks and buttercups
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:48:52 am »
So last year I had piggies on my veg patch to clear it but I have been a bit busy elsewhere and now I have turned around hoping to plant veg only to find that there has been an explosion of docks and buttercups. So far I have cleared and planted some beds but its growing faster than I can clear and one problem I have is the sheer bulk of weeds. I have been told I can put dock leaves in the compost so that will reduce it a bit but what about buttercups-could I mow them and put the leaves and flowers in compost or is that just going to cause more  ???problems?

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: Clearing ground-docks and buttercups
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:55:26 pm »
I would say that if you can keep the heat up in the compost then it should all decompose. Sound s like that you will need to have a few heaps/bins on the go though.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:04:47 am »
Trouble with docks is that there are millions of seeds lying dormant in the ground. Even if you use a systemic weedkiller on the foliage above ground, then cultivate the soil, after a while these will germinate and if you don't keep on top of them you'll be back to square one in no time.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:54:04 am »
You can immerse them in a large tub of water with lid on, that should kill it after a few months. It still does not solve the issue of them growing and spreading faster than you and I  :roflanim: can clear them but at least those roots don't come back to life on your compost. Cut remaining dock before it goes to seed! :&>

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 06:56:39 am »
It took us a long time, a few years, but continual cutting before flowering works eventually.
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:41:09 pm »
Olde country folks lore , saying for dock and thistles etc .

Cut in June that's far too soon , cut in July they surely die

Reason :-   July is usually drier down in the soil than a hot June so the plants are not into reproduction mode  .

Mind Roundup or Grazon 90 does a good job if your not into organic stuff.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS