Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Growing Squash  (Read 3347 times)

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
Growing Squash
« on: June 04, 2013, 03:59:34 pm »
I have always tried these in the Polytunnel and traing them up wires, however have not had many fruit (2)

Is it best outside and left trailing or is the polytunnel the way to go and maybe let them trail.

Many thanks

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Growing Squash
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 04:16:38 pm »
I sow mine in the greenhouse then move them outside and leave them completely alone to do as they will.  Had an absolute glut of the things.  God I was sick of squash soup...

Supposedly, the native indians in the states used to plant them in amongst the maize.  not sure whether this was supposed to support them though, or just to lessen the digging!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 04:51:37 pm »
I tried the North American  thing of the three sisters - corn, climbing beans and squash.  Didn't work for me ::)    The beans tried to climb the corn but just ended up strangling the emerging cobs, and I couldn't get to anything because there were giant squash leaves everywhere.   I tried dwarf beans which did better but were overwhelmed by the squash before they could  produce beans.
I had to put in canes to support the climbing beans and the corn.  The squash did quite like it.  Now I give everything it's own space.
This was all in the polytunnel as none of those crops would grow outdoors where we live  :garden:

Inside the tunnel I always have to hand pollinate squashes and courgettes even though there are often plenty of bees and insects.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 07:24:09 am »
I tried summer squash growing for the first time last year. Started off in the greenhouse then transplanted into a big container (half a mussel float) outside, and pretty much left to do what & go where he wanted. He produced very few flowers male or female and only one fruit.
 I'm having another go this year with different conditions, but I'm not holding out much hope for the little fella he's still in a little pot at the moment because of house moving. Hope to get him planted today :fc:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 12:34:08 am »
My pumpkins, squashes (turban and butternut) and gourds went out yesterday into my new pumpkin patch. Having said that, I've no idea whether they'll work - this is the first time I've tried them in this climate (but they worked outside in Switzerland!),

H

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:19:04 am »
I grow mine outside in containers of rotting manure with a little potting compost in the top. I've had some enormous pumkins before now. The biggest weighed over 40lbs  :squash: and the courgettes grow like mad.

ladyjanefarmer

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 03:46:49 pm »
I as usual have got too many pumpkins, to grow in a container would solve that problem. What size container do you use I have a mountain of well rotted manure.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:51:10 pm »
As big as you can manage, I guess. Or just feed them regularly. I've only grown courgettes in tubs and they went well in normal patio sized containers. Have you no space to make a new bed? Probably easier in the long run.

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS