Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie, would be goat keeper.  (Read 4726 times)

Christine_A

• Joined May 2013
Newbie, would be goat keeper.
« on: May 22, 2013, 01:09:09 pm »
Hi

I live in Fife and Im really keen at some point to take up keeping goats.

As you'd expect Im doing my reading but would be really keen to spend a bit of time with an someone who is already keeping goats to get an idea of what its really like. I want to be sure this is something that I could do.

I drive, so Fife/Edinburgh/Perth would be fine   :wave:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Newbie, would be goat keeper.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 01:53:22 pm »
Hi Christine, a few of the Scottish Goatkeepers will be at Forfar auction mart this weekend for the spring show (it is not a public show, so no entry fee), so if that's not too far for a Saturday outing, you could come along and see different breeds and chat to people there.
Otherwise I am in the Borders, so probably too far.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:33:51 pm »
hi Christine,  :wave:

I am probably too far north for you but I will say while its hard work during milking/kidding times etc, its also lots of fun. and you can't beat eating fresh goats cheese/milk etc etc and mine are just like puppies with horns...lol brilliant characters etc but you have to be prepared for the commitment, they are worse than having babies, at least you can get a babysitter easier than a goatsitter!!!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Christine_A

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 11:51:12 am »
Hi - thanks, those are the things that interest me.... I know a lot of the techniques for making cheese/butter yogurt etc and it would be great to have my own milk to do it with.

We live in a really rural area and have access to some really nice ground I could house my goats on. Im an animal person.... I have 6 dogs, a rabbit, feral cat and a garden full of wild birds... Id also like some chickens at some point. My goats would probably end up being as pampered as the rest of my crew....!

Im thinking Golden Guernseys at the minute, but as I say - Ive never really been around goats or tried milking and its one thing reading books and watching TV and another being there and seeing the real thing!

Where are you roughly? If my hubby is on any of his days off - I dont mind a bit of a drive :)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 12:00:59 pm »

Where are you roughly? If my hubby is on any of his days off - I dont mind a bit of a drive :)

If you click on "view profile", you get the map with her location.

Hi, btw...  :) I don't have goats any more, unfortunately.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 02:49:41 pm »
I thought about Golden Guernseys too, they're so pretty. But ended up getting Old English, as I decided the GGs weren't hardy enough for where I live (1000ft in Cumbria) whereas the OEs are.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 11:46:20 pm »
oh I would love some GG's but nowhere near hardy enough for up here1 Opted for Saanen & BT instead. I love milking time, it can be a real bonding session  :)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 08:54:42 am »
And relaxing as I'm finding out after a hard days graft

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 10:08:58 pm »
Agree with both those statements. I had a friend who gets depressed and when she was really down she'd ask if she could come and milk as it always made her feel better.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 06:33:30 am »
Just a quick one as I am about to go milking, GG's are quite a hardy breed! Mine never have been rugged, even in the VERY cold winter a couple of years ago - when the water froze within the hour INSIDE their shed!
There are also GG keepers north of Inverness, so the real problem is breeding GG's in isolated spots - you really would need your own billy and be prepared to initially travel to source stock - possibly right down to the South of England.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 05:41:28 pm »
Hi Christine, we are located near Falkirk, and my sister near Linlithgow. You're welcome to head over and visit ours if you like, have a shot at milking. No GG's here, but mostly Anglo-nubian, British Toggenburg types, oh and some British Saanen types too. My sister will probably have a milker and kid available for sale this year (British Toggenburg type) and I know of some British Saanens for sale in Fife as well.

Beth

Christine_A

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 03:13:07 pm »
Hi Christine, we are located near Falkirk, and my sister near Linlithgow. You're welcome to head over and visit ours if you like, have a shot at milking. No GG's here, but mostly Anglo-nubian, British Toggenburg types, oh and some British Saanen types too. My sister will probably have a milker and kid available for sale this year (British Toggenburg type) and I know of some British Saanens for sale in Fife as well.

Beth

Hi Beth - that would be really great - I'll pm you my info, Im off up north on holiday for a week this weekend but Im not going back to work until the 18th, so if you were okay with it, Id love to pop over either the Monday 16th  or Tuesday 17th  for a visit.

Thanks!
Christine

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 07:27:44 pm »
Hi Christine,

Yes the Sun/Mon should be fine. Tues 18th we are off to the RoyalHighland Show, so fits in well.

Beth 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS