Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: vaccination  (Read 1559 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
vaccination
« on: June 02, 2013, 06:21:54 pm »
Its time to vaccinate for the first time my 12 boer kids. 

I don't like vaccinating so how do you experienced goat owners all do this.

Do you have someone hold the kids or just hold them against the wall yourself?

What is the best site to vaccinate.   I had a trial run and with my husband holding across his knee I couldn't get any loose skin to make the "tent".

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Re: vaccination
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 06:30:23 pm »
Be prepared for wriggling and some screaming (not from the injection, but from the indignity of being held!)

I cunningly get my son-in-law to hold - he catches then stands with kid's head held away (horn danger) and shoulder towards me.  I then tap a bit (read somewhere it helps for vaccine dispersal), pinch up a bit of skin and use the needles the vets use for cats - so tiny green ones.  Only 2 out of 21 kids felt the needle and made a fuss.  Rub well after, again to disperse vaccine and not ruin the meat....

Needle into skin in opposite direction to the arm of whoever is holding the kid!

A couple of times it came out the other side of the tent - so had another go.

Important:  mark when done as there WILL be an escape attempt by the unvaccinated kids!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 06:29:00 am »
I just put the needle, small size from vets, under skin, inserting almost parallel to the animal, usually on the shoulder. And with kids I do prefer if someone holds them, usually across their lap with head safely tucked under elbow.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:16:24 am »
When you say small do you mean length or gauge? I use my gun but needles are 16 or 18G which is thick and hard to use on goats.

I find their skin tougher to penetrate than sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS