Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Should I milk her?  (Read 1887 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Should I milk her?
« on: June 01, 2013, 05:13:02 pm »
Hi Folks,

A  quick question: We got back from our week away to find that Data, our BS who should be due 4th July, has had her milk come in quite early. She's got a good full udder and was easy to get a couple of squirts out of this morning. She's a fourth time kidder (I think!). So - should I milk her till the kid gets here? If so just do it occasionally to stop mastitis? or put her back on the twice a day rota with the others?

Thanks!

Ben

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Should I milk her?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 05:44:03 pm »
Is her udder full? Ie tight with milk? Is it making her uncomfortable? If so then milk, but not twice a day, just as required. She should be putting calcium into the kids not into milk just now. You may find if you take some milk off that will relieve it and you might not ave to do it again until she kids.

Beth

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 10:21:57 pm »
I found that just taking a bit off a couple of times was enough to keep my girl comfortable.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 07:32:08 pm »
Thanks, I took a couple of cupfulls out of  each  side last night - she wasn't really tight but was quite red so thought it for the best. Just been donated an 8x6 shed that's in really nice nick so have kitted it out as a 'maternity wing' at the end of the main stables so she can get some peace in quiet for the run in!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:13:21 pm »
What a lovely thing to have donated.  ;D

If your girl's udder is getting a bit red, I think you did the right thing by easing it a bit. Just keep an eye on it now. Hope to meet her soon as we are in Cambridge in three weeks time and you said we could visit. I'll PM you to make arrangements.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 10:47:31 pm »
Maternity wing sounds great. Hope she'll be more comfy now.

Beth

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 11:25:43 pm »
MGoM, do get in touch about a visit, I think I'm around all of June as we've just been away for five nights (two of them without children - yay!).

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 08:23:48 pm »
Child-free time is always a good thing.  ;D

We arrive in Cambridge on 24th and leave the following Monday. Saturday is the day of the wedding of course but we are free the rest of the week unless my son has any plans for us. I know they want to show us round a bit but they will also be doing last minute things for their big day. I'll PM once I've spoken to him.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS