Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making butter (or not)  (Read 29812 times)

donny

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Weymouth, Dorset
  • Do you know this breed??
Re: Making butter (or not)
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2009, 08:44:17 pm »
I had a go at this today, 300mils of double cream was put into an old hand operated food processer and after about 10 mins, I poured out all the liquid and was left with to my surprise, butter. After a bit more squashing and a lot more fluid gone, it was spread on toast. Wow, wonderfull stuff.

I will be making more, yum.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2009, 11:29:26 pm »
Hope you kept the whey for any animals you have?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2009, 12:09:34 am »
Do you have any more suggestions as to what I can do with the whey?
Also, can cats have it? You're not supposed to give them cows milk but i'm not sure about the whey?
I've also got chickens. Do you think they might like the whey?

I know my mum has had a go at making butter and always used to tell me not to beat the cream too much or you get butter.

I will be trying this next time I go shopping.  :P

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2009, 12:23:20 am »
I give my ex batts a special treat when they first arrive.  Porridge oats, boiling water poured over them, add some honey (and poultry spice if you can get it), and some milk and leave to cool. They love it  I don't see why you couldn't use whey instead of whole milk.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

GordonsGarden

• Joined Mar 2009
  • South Devon
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2009, 10:47:53 am »
We made butter using the Kenwood Chef and the paddle fitting,it took about 10 mins, but be very careful as it goes from cream to butter suddenly,the longest job was washing the butter clean of the buttermilk.Made beautiful butter though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS