Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making butter (or not)  (Read 30442 times)

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
Re: Making butter (or not)
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 12:53:53 pm »
Sounds good Rosey...   How long does the butter "keep" for in the fridge?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 02:35:50 pm »
Rosey, photos would be great. Or video?

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 04:54:29 pm »
As long as normal butter I think, salt is a preservative so it may make it last longer. I have never had any for more than a week though.

Little tip: my mum bought  Elmlea by accident and it does not work, it has to be double cream.

Rosey

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 04:55:29 pm »
I will do a little video this weekend and try and put it on.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 06:33:58 pm »
Excellent - thanks. Delia and Nigella, look out!

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 11:50:56 am »
I love cooking so spend lots of time doing it.  My daughter and her friend's do not like shop bought cakes much so I whip the odd one up, i find it relaxing. Try a quick tomato soup.

Either peeled tomatoes (about half a kilo) or for winter a tin of value plum tomatoes
stock cube
a few bits of onion if you have it, if not ignore.

Blend together, heat up and serve, yum!

Good thing is you can add other things as well.

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 01:52:01 pm »
I made my butter today and it turned out great... I have a picture of it, but I cant seem to get it to upload, its telling me the upload folder is full..  I have uploaded it onto flickr .. here is the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/8296413@N05/2427950958/

Rosey.. I love cooking too, and I find it theraputic also... the kids love cooking with me too, which will tand then in good stead for later on in their lives when they have their own homes and family's.

Rather spooky tho, I have had vine tomatoes and garlic slow roasting in the oven for the last hour or so, plan is to make soup too  :)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 01:55:50 pm by Townie »

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 05:17:54 pm »
Butter making is fab! I have just bought a butter churn from ebay.....wicked!

For those of you that got the whipped cream..........it goes thick, then thin then seperates!

Squeeze the buttermilk out by hand under very cold water then mash in salt if required....!

photo on my blog www.smallholdinginsomerset.blogspot.com
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 05:59:20 pm »
thanks for letting us know I was planing on doing it the other day but totally forgot to get any cream when i went shopping
lol

dave

• Joined May 2008
  • cheshire
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 06:07:05 pm »
Excellent - thanks. Delia and Nigella, look out!

Gasp!!! thats blasphemy how can you say that about goddess delia and earth mother nigella *rushs to light candles in their shrines*lol.

Dave

SalMac

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 08:45:32 pm »
I used my ice cream maker to make butter from cream, just didnt freeze the base before hand and let it get on with it. Figured it looked identical to the butter churns in principal but was a fraction of the price, oh and I already had it :-) Takes about 25-30 mins as the blades turn a good deal slower than a food processor. Dont try and do it until its come up to room temp a little bit. Tastes great btw!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 12:27:24 am »
I make goats milk butter the lazy way too, with the kenwood. I use wooden paddles to squeeze out the buttermilk and to shape it into a pat- the paddles should be available from most smallholder stockists. I'm sure I've seen them on Oxmoor smallholder supplies website.

Beth
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 10:39:28 pm by ballingall »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 11:51:36 am »
but not the platic bladed kenwood mixers i bust the wifes machine she was not happy. but the butter worked.  :)

razor18

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 03:34:50 am »

I used my ice cream maker to make butter from cream, just didnt freeze the base before hand and let it get on with it then it can easily use too..

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 09:49:12 pm »
making stacks of butter at the moment - we are getting about 1/2 gallon of cream a day - thick enough to stand a spoon up in - literally. In fact the cream is so thick that I am actually having to thin it down with milk before I can churn it.

At the moment, because the cows are early in their lactation (butter comes quicker early on - takes longer later on)it is only taking about 12 minutes. As Wooly Shepherd say, it goes really thick, so stiff that I can hardly turn the handle on the blow churn. Keep at it - then it will go thinner again. Keep going and then it will go stiff again and you should have butter. Drain out the buttermilk, and then rinse the butter with cold water unil the water comes clear. Tip on to a wooden board to drain for twenty minutes or so. Then work the butter to squeeze all the liquid out. Traditionally use scotch hands, but a pair of wooden kitchen spatulas do just as well. Add salt if you want to when you have nearly got all the juice out. Shape in to a pat and enjoy. If freezing, wrap in greaseproof paper and then cling. Keeps well in the freezer.

Use more quickly that purchased butter as you won't be able to get all the liquid out, and it it this that goes smelly.

Flapjack made with homemade butter is ambrosia - quite a different beast to the margerine version.

We will have only home made butter for all needs now, until perhaps, January. Making about 2.5 lbs a day at the moment.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS