Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Food storage and rotation  (Read 14782 times)

Tullywood Farm

Re: Food storage and rotation
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2009, 10:35:16 pm »
Hi Gem

I thankyou for that But I am going to get some experience with them before embarking on this mission.
I want the stings to stay where they should and not UP MY A**E when I have pi**ed them off doing something wrong.  :dunce:
I am talking to a friend who keeps Bees (But he has an aggressive Queen) and he is going to organise for me to go to a friend of his,Who thank God has quiet Bees and they will show me what I need to Know.
I am also looking to join my local Bee keepers club.
Kind regards
Joe  :)

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2009, 12:32:25 pm »
just had a thought (albeit a completely random one)
if for example life as you know it came to an end etc etc...
bread is one of our staple foods (along with many flour based products)
growing grain and grinding it down into flour is not the easiest of tasks.

what would be a good/easier alternative?
any recipes?
GEM. X

rustyme

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2009, 02:49:26 pm »
hello Gem,
            if as you say , life were to change on such a dramatic scale , then just about all of us would be up that creek without a paddle (or enough seed to grow anything ) . There are alternatives to wheat as a staple food , but all have there own difficulties . If we were to accept the premise  that life  has changed for whatever reason , ie disease , fuel shortage , war , climate change etc etc, then we would also have to accept that each of those reasons would each bring about their own individual responses . For example if life changed because of disease , and you had enough seed to supply your food, and you were also fit and able to till , sow and harvest then no problems . If, however, it was changed due to climate , then the seed you have may not survive the new climate change ?  A good plan would be to grow small amounts of a few different types of seed ie , quinoa , amaranth , maize , wheat , oats , barley , rye , rice etc. This way you would have at least something that would supply your staple diet. Very few people are prepared to grow all those 'just in case' !! My choice would be to grow wheat , oats , barley and rye , as my all round staple grains . These are easy to grow as they are really just grass , sow them, and they grow. The thing to do is avoid modern varieties . Although they provide much  more grain per acre , they also require more knowledge to grow in many respects . Older types are easier to cope with and have been 'played with' less !!. Then there is the converting to flour , just about all grains require grinding to some degree . I have grown and ground , quinoa , amaranth , maize and wheat etc. The worst grain I found was one not mentioned so far ,  spelt . It was like grinding steel pellets. I would therefore grow wheat , barley, oates and rye along with hemp , linseed , rice ? , with smaller amounts of amaranth, quinoa and maize.  As for recipes, pop any of the names into google, and you will get hundreds for each !!

cheers

Russ

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2009, 03:02:30 pm »

if for example life as you know it came to an end etc etc...

My honest recommendation, would be to purchase a paddle. A good 90% of the population would find themselves up sh*t creek, and simply wouldn't be able to cope. I know that we would find it very, very hard.

Regards,

Morgan

rustyme

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2009, 03:05:06 pm »
I have some paddle seeds for sale if you want ? ::) ;D ;D

cheers

Russ

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2009, 05:05:39 pm »
I went out this morning and planted some pasta and spaghetti....at least we won't go hungry when the supermarket shelves are bare.  :dunce: :farmer:

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2009, 05:32:43 pm »
why your pasta should be nearly ready for harvesting then! its very quick growing you know!

whisper! im gonna sneak around to morgans house tonight and plant loads of spaghetti in clumps around her veg patch, LOL
GEM. X

rustyme

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2009, 06:32:04 pm »
pasta/spaghetti !!!! yes .. like I said, wheat would be the top of the list .... ;D  ;D
 The thing is  really , if the world did collapse to the degree where there was no food , no oil , petrol even communications , then those left to survive would have a very grim time . Food storage will cope with short to long term shortage of food , depending on how much you can store, but if there were going to be no more food 'ever', then things change a lot .  It is ok having enough seed to grow some wheat , but you have to have enough to grow all that you need for say bread as well as some left over for the following years seed as well . You always have to have enough to grow this years crop  , as well as having enough for next years crop, in case this years crop gets wiped out by weather or disease !!! , there will be no agri co-op to buy more seed from ...So if you were going to sow an acre , you would need 1/2cwt-1cwt approx, for your first crop , and the same for the following years crop ( in case of failure ) ,plus any that you need for food . If you needed 6 loaves per week , then you would need 6lb of flour approx. 6lb per week is 312lb of flour so maybe about 500lb -600lb of wheat. One acre would give you 1-1 1/2 tons of wheat seed , so plenty to spare . What it boils down to , is , if you aren't growing and saving before the collapse ?, then you ain't going to get by after !!!! You will be relying on whatever you can find around you , wild food . Very few people even keep ALL of their own veg seed now days . The end is nigh !!!!

cheers

Russ

ps: I would also doubt if only 90% of any survivors ? could make it past the first year let alone the second or third !!! I would think that 95% + would fold , only very small numbers would make it through .
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:47:36 pm by rustyme »

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2009, 07:23:54 pm »
I give myself a week!

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2009, 11:36:48 am »
The way this thread is going, its about time to mention... ' The survivors tv series ' the orginal version that is , back in the 70s. Bit dated, but some good stuff that makes you think what it would be like.

Kevin

rustyme

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2009, 01:27:22 pm »
Hello Kev,
          yes I have it on dvd ...lol. I thought it was great when it first came on . Although I did notice all the faults ...all very middle class , all stayed very clean with perfect hair ...and the cars that they used to find and then use ... they always started ok !! after sitting untouched for months , wish my battery was that good !! Anyway , those faults aside , I thought it was a very good series . I don't however, think that it shows how life would really be after such an event , although the first program in the series is startlingly close to what we are seeing on the tv about swine flu at the moment !!!. The new series missed the reality as well I think . Another program from about the same time as the first survivors was 'No Blade of Grass'  , I think that got nearer to reality on some levels.

cheers

Russ

rustyme

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2009, 08:04:23 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnB8eo6CH2s

that is for the first part of ' No Blade of Grass '. I have watched the whole thing on youtube , so you should be able to find all the other parts.  Funny thing is , when we moved from London to Wales in 1977 , we had an almost identical white Zodiac estate car.....the white hearse the locals called it ...lol
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 08:11:38 pm by rustyme »

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 10:45:12 pm by sausagesandcash »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS