Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Food storage and rotation  (Read 14827 times)

Tullywood Farm

Re: Food storage and rotation
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 08:57:41 am »
Hello Rusty

Thanks a million for all that information - you see, there is no book available with all this stuff in it - or at least where to find it.

It is to find people like yourself that is why these forums should exist - for this is the type of stuff I am certainly looking for - practical, useful and forward planning.

Joe my husband thinks like you, he wants to be able to fix everything too, thats why we run around in an old landrover, and have a second one to fix up for the future - you can fix them yourself!.

The old cowboy windmill sounds fantastic - Joe knows word for word the old Clint Eastwood films, at least once a month I have to watch "The Outlaw Josie Wales" again, I love Clint too, showing my age now  :D

Will spend our next free time (Whats that!) looking at all your references and wishing we could get on with it now, so impatient to get things going towards being off-grid.

Take care Russ

Julie x

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 09:09:15 am »
Gill and Tom , Food storage is not wide spread ( I think ) but maybe others will not agree.  For me its a comfort zone , a buffer , against possible problems in the food chain,and in case we fall on hard times. Also we find that we save a lot of time and fuel by bulk buying. My shopping trips are infrequent now.

A garage is ok for storage. No need for fancy containers either. Shelving is good.  If you are stacking in metal or strong plastic containers, I would suggest putting some pallet boards down, as a gap between floor and food.

Try and buy tins that do not have the ' ring pull '  They are getting popular but the seal is not so good as the traditional ones.

Some people box up ' per month ' like a food parcel each month. You need to be more organised than me for that !

Start with the cheapest essentials, rice , pasta, flour , sugar etc. You get a lot of food for your money, and it spurs you on.

No one can REALLY imagine a breakdown in the national food supply. Unthinkable for many. However many so called ' unthinkable ' things have happened on this planet the last few years..

Kevin

rustyme

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 01:26:19 pm »
hello G + T,
           as Kevin said avoid those horrid ring pull things . I have had food gone off in those in a very short time . As for storage in general, well those that don't believe in it , think that anyone that stores is a complete nutter. So what !! let them . Just do it if you feel the need. The thing to remember is that our food supply isn't as safe and guaranteed as it has been in the past , and certainly not as safe as we THINK it is still now. Only in this last year did the government get all the big supermarket names together round the table , to discuss food distribution in an emergency . (I remember the days when such an emergency would have been the governments job to sort out ...not Tescos', but still).
   Our food supply is based basically, on a three day turn round. In short that means if you stop deliveries from the ports to the distribution points , then three days later, the supermarkets are EMPTY , and the government has put it in the hands of Tesco and the like to RATION out what food there is . Can you imagine the panic and mayhem that would cause ? In just a day or so you could have people killing for food , even in the UK . This happened in the USA after hurricane Katrina , and although no one got killed , it happened here in the UK in the 1970's over a sugar shortage ??? I saw people kicking the cr*p out of each other over a bag of sugar ...crazy!!!
 If you are growing food already you are half way to solving the problem should it arise. Storing any surplus will help sort the other half out . Freezers are ok as long as the electric is on . There is already talk of long blackouts on the way , 2 , 3 , 4 days at a time . Will your freezer full of food be ok ? Therefore go for plenty of bottled,canned food . Pickled , stored in brine , made into jams ,veg stored in sand, clamps  etc etc. Also keep  your seed supply  topped up . Don't buy F1 varieties , go for the old varieties , all tried and tested , and you can let a few plants go to seed and save it for the next crop. Old coffee jars etc are good for storing seed in , as well as dried herbs even pickled onions.  Make plenty of chutney and pickle too , and keep a few lb of salt in a dry plastic container. The average person eats far more than they need to these days , so when calculating the amounts you need to store, allow for that !! I don't mean aim to exist on one potato a day for 4 of you , but just think about what you really need to store. Oh and if you are storing in a garage , make sure it is vermin proof !!!! rats and mice will find food very fast ,  that it isn't damp !! and that it is safe from people too...don't tell all and sundry that you have it full of food . If there were a food shortage , those very same people may pay you a visit when they get hungry !!!
     The reasons for a food shortage are many , fuel crisis (we are nearer to that than anyone realises) , crop failure ( the world has been very close to that for the last few years ) , war ,economic crash ( I mean worse than we have had so far , total collapse IS possible even now !!) , or pandemic illness !!! how near are we to that ???
       My reasons to have my own food is firstly for health reasons , I don't want to eat the crap they put in our food , the list of what they put in our food goes on forever, then my money supply is very little and subject to stop at any moment for any length of time , then all the above reasons , fuel shortage , economy crash , pandemic etc etc . This isn't meant to scare anyone , and there will be many who won't bother to store anything , fine thats up to them . I do it because I want my life in MY hands , not Gordon Browns ,or whoever replaces him . Do you think they will really look after you ?????  Don't panic about it though , life is ok at the moment , and may well stay that way for a long time . Live your life doing what you like doing and store food if you want to.

cheers

Russ

rustyme

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 03:07:21 pm »
Hello Julie,
            yes the old style windmills are great . They are easy to make , out of timber or angle iron, and can provide water pumping or leccy . The old American ones were for water pumping , then in the 1920' onwards they were used to generate leccy as well . I have seen some set ups in the USA (in books etc ) where the windmill is used to generate leccy and then that used to power an electric water pump ??? how things change .... But the whole system is very much makeable/buildable by  the average diy-er , all very easy .
  Another good book to have is :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sewage-Solutions-Answering-Nature-Third/dp/1902175263/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247148101&sr=1-1
 It covers all aspects of sewage and greywater treatment , compost loos , reed beds etc etc....

cheers

Russ

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 05:47:45 pm »
Thanks again for that.

I have just got a book called
Self Reliance - A Recipe for the New Millennium, by John Yeoman, ISBN 1-85623-015-5

Have you got / heard of it?

It looks to cover a lot of things, and I think that it would also help G + T get their mind around storing and why you might need to be able to make your own drinking water etc.

I have only just got it, so at the beginning, at first it sounds like a cook book, but when you look at the contents list it covers things like:
How to get out of debt.
How to make things last - recycle, get the most out of things.
Lots of tips on economy and food etc.
Free Food + the 12 survival plants - found everywhere
Covers berries, seeds, nuts, herbs,
Free medicine from nature

The last chapter covers Recipes for real and may be a little frightening for people who do not think of how they would survive in the worst case scenarios that may happen, but better to be educated and prepared I believe, and fear is only a word - well for me anyway!

It Covers Planning for the unthinkable
Emergency food imrtovisations
Hunting Tips
How to cheat at fishing - and eat what you catch
Animal Husbandry
Temporary Family Emergencies
Long term disasters

Hopefully we will never need everything in the book, but it is a good start by the looks of it.

regards to ye all
Julie

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 10:34:03 am »
Good morning guys.  I am so interested in food storage, I never ever thought of a food shortage until I read this thread and now Id love to start hoarding straight away!!  Id love as much infomation on it as possible from ye please.  I have a shed in mind that would be perfect for the job, it was re-roofed about 4 years ago and is most certainly dry.  It has plugs in it so I could plug in the thingy to keep mice and spiders away so I should be fairly well sorted its next door to my "utility" (another shed the exact same size as the one in mind for storage - don't ask me the size I'm quite useless for guessing things like that!) and is really quite close to the house.  I love organising and planning so I am in my element at the moment.  The shed is currently used to store more rubbish than anything else so now that I have a very good use for the shed we have a good excuse to give it a good clearing out! 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I have never done this before  ;D

PS - only one concern - that thingy that makes noise that only mice etc can hear and keep away from my food will be a few yards away from my hen house (will get OH to tell me the more approx measurement!) and I am afraid that it will disturb them.  We can move the hen house no problem but would prefer to leave it as it is but don't want to upset the girls either!  :chook:   

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 11:22:50 am »
Hi kerrygirl,

I had those so called mouse and rat repeller's in my feed store, But it didn't work for me not only did they eat the food they also ate the bl**ding wires to the socket that was powering the unit!.

I will get back to you later I promise on what to store and how.

Kind regards
Joe

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 11:38:41 am »
Joe, thank you very much.  I also have 6 cats, 4 of which are great mouse catchers who I hope will help keep them at bay!   :cat:

I know you are very busy so take your time getting back to me, as I said I need to clear out the shed first!   ;D

rustyme

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 12:32:35 pm »
hello KG,
          mice and rats , yuk ...as Joe  said those noise things are useless, they do one thing , make money for the people that make them ....thats it ! The best and more or less fool proof way of keeping them out is to line the shed (if it is a wooden one ?) with aluminium , or galvanised sheet steel . Make sure there are no holes anywhere, larger than 1/4" . A young mouse can get through anything larger with ease . Then store all food in metal bins , tins and glass jars . Plastic will keep food dry , but mousy or ratty will gnaw through it in seconds. I use tesco 200 grm empty coffee jars , and they take 500 grm packets of beans , peas , rice etc . Tinned food comes ready to store  ::) but remember to avoid ring pull if you can , they aren't as reliable as normal tins.  Wheat, barley ,oats etc store better as grain , so if you can store it like that and have some way of processing it . That will provide long term storage , you could also have flour ready ground etc , and that would be your short term, use first  stuff. If you use sugar then you will have to make sure there is no moisture at all . Like salt , sugar soaks up all moisture !!! You could also start to keep bees !! free honey which is sugar !!! and the bees store it for you !!  You also get wax for candles ,( if there were complete breakdown !!!). Also remember not to store food that you don't eat . If you are allergic to nuts , 500 jars of peanut butter are a bit of a waste !!
 What to store ? .. well just go for what you eat now anyway is the best thing . That way you will use it in rotation . There is little point in filling a shed with food and leaving it for the next 5 years !!! I go for vegetable soups and stews, and rice pudding, as well as macaroni cheese etc . I know you can make all your own from fresh goods , but , what if the fresh stuff gets ruined , attacked by rats , goes rotten ? I also keep plenty of tinned beans : cannelloni , butter , harricot , black , runner etc etc. as well as peas , new potatoes and all other veg in tins. Fruit in tins as well . Jam , chutney ,pickle , and any pickled stuff such as onions , gherkins , cabbage and so on , store in glass jars.
   One thing to think of with all this food , is weight . Make sure that the floor of the shed is well supported , a wooden floor without correct support will sag over time , and maybe allow an entry for rats. 

cheers

Russ

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 12:38:13 pm »
Hi Kerry, looks like Russ got there first with some sensible ideas about your shed ! I am glad I started this topic, if it means some of you will be prepared as well.

One point, drop the word ' hoarding ' from your brain. Think ' rotation '  this is most important.

Once you have achieved the right level of food in storage, it is a most satisifying feeling. Remember also to store everything else that we need in our day to day lives.

For more info just google. There are many good sites, mainly American, and most latter day saints, where food storage is part of their religion.

Good luck !
Kevin

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 02:24:41 pm »
Thanks Russ & Kevin, I know I said hoard but I am a devil for rotating our own food and the animals food so I know it will be easy for me to do when I set up our shed. 

The shed is concrete built with a concrete floor (I suppose you are probably saying "obviously!!") and a galvanised sheet roof.  We have been living in our house for 5 years now and have yet to see any mice or rats in the house, the utility or the other shed so hopefully thats a good sign  ;)  The only live ones I've really seen around is if my cats bring them back home to play with. 

I do have the plan for bees in the future but next year will be setting up our veg garden so maybe the year after I will get the bees in  :bee: I do love honey!

Thanks for the info.  Will have fun starting it!!  ;D

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 02:51:54 pm »
Hi Kerry, looks like Russ got there first with some sensible ideas about your shed ! I am glad I started this topic, if it means some of you will be prepared as well.
Good luck !
Kevin

Well said Kev - we definately need someone to talk to or we will get very lonely -

Carrier Pigeons?
CB Radio's?
Smoke signals?
Any other ideas????

Julie

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 04:43:30 pm »
What about having aside the following as well as the food:-

Bottle of gas
Batteries
Radio
Torch
First aid kit

And some alcohol for medicinal purposes of course!!  ;D

rustyme

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2009, 06:53:54 pm »
hello KG,
           you can take storage to whatever level you want really !!. I use lpg for cooking , but if meltdown were to occur , I would just change to using wood for heat and cooking . I don't really have that much that runs on batteries, but anything that does I use rechargeable ones , a solar charger is on my list of things to get !!! For torches I use windup ones , radio I never listen too anyway and first aid kit I have already . I always keep a few boxes of paracetamol , aspirin , nurofen anyway along with plenty of germolene , detol, tcp etc etc . Alcohol I don't use for medical purposes and I don't drink, so have no need for it .   However , what you choose to have in store is a personal thing . You have to work out what you would want /need to have  if ?, meltdown or even just a dire shortage of things  were to happen. My lifestyle is very simple , I therefore need very little . If meltdown were to occur , my life wouldn't really change that much . The one thing that would be different is the pc !!! As time goes on I will sort out a laptop , so I will have access to info stored on dvd etc. , but it isn't really on the top of my list . I will have plenty of things to do anyway . If I were to be very organised , I would make a proper list of needs and wants , and add/subtract to that list as time went by . But I know what I want/need, and therefore don't bother . That may change if I saw things were getting iffy for whatever reason, but so far I just rely on instinct and routine/habit.  It is a good idea though, to get everyone else's views , they may give you ideas you hadn't thought of . Thats why I mention things I am thinking about . There is always someone out there, that has done more than me , has better ideas , knows more about things than I do , and saves me from reinventing the wheel !!!

cheers

Russ

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2009, 09:02:17 pm »
I have a few other items on my storage wish list too, some are expensive, but last a long time and you get what you pay for - and some of the expensive ones can be had on Ebay for reasonable money.

Barbour Jackets - Breathable and waterproof for hunting and working in.

Gore Tex Boots for the winter - they keep your feet warm AND dry.  My Ecco ones last me about six years so at 110 pounds not a bad price over the time that they last if you look after them.

Wellies in all sizes your kids will grow to, plus waterproof coats and pants - Lidl are good!

Knifes and sharpening tools - for butchering your animals and making fur items from the skin (can't waste anything in an emergency). :o

Protective paint, oil, wd40, grease, to keep all hand tools working.

I am sure there are loads more non-food items we should be thinking about -
Help me  add to the list - Julie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS