Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The joys of working with the public  (Read 13020 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
The joys of working with the public
« on: July 05, 2009, 11:21:05 pm »
Last night we were very busy and as I was walking through to the kitchen with dirty plates in my hands a party of 5 or 6 people appeared. I said hello and excuse me and told them Gina would be with them in a second. Within 10 seconds I heard one of the men SHOUTING aggressively that i should have said f***in excuse me. I returned to the party and asked what the problem was and had this idiot point his finger in my face and ask me "outside". He did have young children in his party and his language was as obscene as his behaviour.

I immediately told him to leave and another man came and took him away as he continued to shout his threats and swear his rudeness. They left and that was that, I apologised to everyone for the incident and the night went on.

Well, 5 minutes ago I have just received an e mail from the aggressive prats brother telling me how rude and aggressive a member of my staff had been to his party. He said the member of staff did say excuse me but his brother didn't hear this as he was outside. So, he shoots himself in the foot straight away. So bad was the experience and my staff members language that his family and friends etc will nervier use the hotel.

Well, I just e mailed and thanked him for his comments and told him that the person concerned was myself - the owner. I went onto say that if lastnight behaviour was indicative of his friends then it was a good job they would not return to my hotel as they would not be welcome. He also had the cheek to say that had he not dragged his brother outside my staff member would have come off very badly indeed!!!

How rude are some people and how easy they bend the truth to suit their own needs. I am ragin!!!!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: The joys of working with the public
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:28:32 pm »
the trouble is this sort of idiot behaviour is becoming the norm, such pig headed selfish people ,seems to be the decay of society today-----------no manners

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:32:49 pm »
The sad thing is if we were some big hotel and the manager/owner received a letter like the one I received some poor wee waiter could find himself in serious trouble. Luckily because I was involved in the incident I knew exactly what happened. It was not a nice situation to be in and just as it was forgotton the idiot brings it back to the fore by writing to me!!! Luckily we have not experienced any serious problems like this one before, but I dare say we will in the future.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 11:39:04 pm »
I had a great consumer experience today - i really despair of Scottish customer service, and today was a new low!!

Spent this morning staining the new stables (looking braw, it's been a hard week but i'm nearly there!) and we had 4 hours to kill before we could put another coat on. So I suggested we jump in the car and take a we drive.

We headed for Callendar in Perthshire, then took the road down to Aberfoyle passing Loch Venachar

there is a wee tea room/coffee shop/restaurant there - at the place you can go fishing, hire the boats whatever, We took the dog out for a wee swim and went in to get something to eat before heading on our way.

it was a hot day and we had stupdly forgotten to take a dog lead, so i suggested we just get something to go and we'd eat it in the car with the A/C on as we headed to Aberfoyle

so we get into the shop and order a couple of paninnis to take away. the girl scratched her head and i was dismayed as i thought she was about to tell me the chilli chicken was off - and i was quite looking forward to it. She said she'd need to pop into the kitchen to check. So i picked up the menu thinking i'd have to pick again. Only to be told "we don't do takeaway food - it's illegal since January 2009"

so, there you go, take away food is illegal now.

and they say the credit crunch is killing business.

however, i refrained from shouting, swearing, causing i scene, i just left quietly and stopped in Aberfoyle where i had a delicious ham and cheese panini - which was all the better for being taken from the premises "illegally" and consumed whilst watching some sheep being shorn

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 12:10:40 am »

James, I suppose this guy was just asking for a confrontation and misheard what he wanted to hear. You don't get that much of it where you are, James, but living near Cupar and Newburgh, this attitude seems quite normal to me! Someone I know was punched in front of his whole family because a guy thought he had looked at him strangely! I read in the paper later that the offender had done this before and was convicted to £ 300 compensation for a broken rib and nose. Is that likely to deter him from doing it again????

Rudeness seems to be the norm these days. I bought some tobacco for my OH a few months back at Cupar Tesco and the "lady" serving me (she seems to be a senior in the customer service department, lol) mumbled "go top yourself".

One of my friends was given the wrong prescription at specsavers in Dundee and the manageress told her that the glasses were good enough for her, as she was only a housekeeper!
You are a lovely and polite host, James, thanks for the nice afternoon today! Don't let idiots like that get to you!
:&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 08:24:40 am »
Thanks Kerstin, it doesn't upset me it angers me that people can be so threatening without provocation. :)

SM You have posted your reply in the wrong place - there is a thread for "silly jokes". What a sad world we lilve in eh? Mind you it did make me chuckle, thanks. :) I once had a right fight in Tesco as I tried to buy 12 bags of chips, I was told I could only buy 6 at a time. I walked away telling the girl at the till, her supervisor and the shop duty manager to stick them up their ar**. Nowhere in the shop was there a sign telling me of this condition, neither were the chips on special offer or anything. Mental - and then I wrote to the MD and he replied telling me that it was indeed company policy and that he "thought" all shops had sign telling customers that. There is no hope for the girl on the checkout when the MD is so confused.

sandy

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 09:48:01 am »
Must have been  something in the air, we found a strange women in someones bedroom, she had  been smuggled in and put in an empty room for the night...goodness knows how often they made use of the spare room as several times I had thought some one had been in due to pillows and things being moved, it also smelled sweaty!!!!!! Also when previouse guests have been staying I have suspected an added, non paying guest but never found any evidence. The man however has been very appologetic and paid for the woman and it all turned into a bit of a funny joke as where he was working they had been putting up hanging baskets and they had a huge bag of compost left, so he gave that to us, I said "Thank you (of course), always nice to get a bag of Sh**e" Then we had a couple with a child that stayed in all day until 4.00pm, they were off to a late party but my partner was getting hot under the color at them still being in the house, I also had put loads of toys out for them and kids DVD's and books, the child played happily with them but the parents never mentioned them, at all although when they left you would swear knowone had slept in the beds, not even the pillows were creased!!!!!  Then we had another couple who also stayed talking for ages and ages, I was touched (a lot of people suspect that) that they poured thier hearts out to me, it was sad and I am sure I will see them again, they also were no trouble, I often turn into a counseller here, I like it and as I said the morning incident has now created a better bond as I think they now realise what they had done......It will happen again and one thing we are a bit laxt at is asserting ourselves, afterall, it is our home like it is yours, I hate rudeness!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 06:38:21 pm »
Now, how did that smiley get into my post??? And the right one at that! I can only do ducklings typing it in, lol :&>

James, it must have to do with potatoes being a drug, have you not heard about the book "potatoes not prozac" , lol? So don't have too many, you get addicted and of course we get told how many we are allowed to buy (even if they forget to put up the sign). Or we have a tattie shortage...Don't get me started...:&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 09:13:25 pm »
Oh, James, does telling them to shove it up their ar*e not smack of pots and kettles?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 10:10:03 pm »
This one made me laugh, Rosemary - as hard as I tried I could not visualize James actually saying that! :&>

sandy

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 10:10:43 pm »
 ;D

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 10:24:38 pm »
Oh, James, does telling them to shove it up their ar*e not smack of pots and kettles?

You know something Rosemary you are absolutely right. I had never even thought of it. However, in my defense I was not abusive or threatening when I said it hee hee.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 02:36:11 pm »
I'm glad you didn't take offence - after I posted it, I felt a bit bad.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 09:07:58 pm »
Hiya James

The Customer IS NOT always right, sometimes they just think they have power because they are giving you money. He was probably drunk, or on drugs - you don't talk like that in front of children - who needs customers like that anyway!

He made a fool of himself and had to leave in the end.
Stay happy and keep smiling - don't let them grind you down - there just not worth it.  I know its annoying cause your constantly trying your best to please everyone - but you can't please everyone all the time - and its not a problem. That's Life as Esther would say ;D

Take Care
Julie

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 09:25:31 pm »
Thanks Julie, it is all forgotton now and I dare say some other idiot will come along and cause upset in the future. You are defo right - the customer isn't always right and if they are in the wrong they should be told. I am smiling again, just spent the last 20 minutes outside surrounded by my goats - heaven!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS