Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: European disability forum  (Read 2045 times)

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
European disability forum
« on: August 15, 2009, 11:35:49 am »
I noticed the thread with James about the lift. You might want to look at this EU forum site. It outlines a huge new bunch of laws coming your way.

I have a friend who is working on this in a team. He said that the implications for companies is going to have a costs to companies as big as ' health and safety

Whilst there are obviuosly discriminations still towards people with disabilities, this new law, is seen by many as way over the top.

http://www.edf-feph.org/Page_Generale.asp?DocID=13854&thebloc=13856

Kevin

Tullywood Farm

Re: European disability forum
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 11:55:35 am »
The EU rules are always over the top we cannot have a traditional wooden smoker to smoke our
bacon for sale in the farmers markets and our farm shop - it has to be stainless steel. >:(

Every business in Ireland open to the public that provides toilet facilities HAS to have a disabled one.

A muslim family in a council house in Dublin refused to move into their newly refurbished house as the loo was facing Mecca and this is an insult to them - so it had to be relocated. :o

We will have to have prayer mats for muslims, be unable to wear crosses as jewellery, and whatever else next - these new laws are always over the top - then the manufacturers of the products specified treble the price cos they know we have to buy them or get closed down - its all gone mad ::) ??? ::)
Julie

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:27:25 pm »
There was a case in England somewhere around Xmas time where 'people' managed to get the hymns done away with at a Xmas service, saying it was discriminating against other faiths, it was all too christian for them ! Excuse me, but is that not the whole point of Xmas, a christian celebration ? The birth of our lord etc.... How would these people feel if all of a sudden they weren't allowed to have their traditional celebrations because they offended us ?
It's all political correctness gone mad, or is it that we now live in a society where everyone's got a claim to make  ???

Slightly off topic, I know, but still shows how mad this county has become  ;)

sandy

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 10:18:22 pm »
It's difficult as all of us can become disabled form time to time in many ways and so many buildings are inaccessible, I understand BUT, if you already are in business how can  you afford to comply to regulations and change your building? Ideally all buildings should be suitable.  I worked in Social Services for ages and as I was born with a dislocated hip was always in loads of pain, the place where I worked I had to climb three flights of stairs ALL the time as there we No suitable lift, I then moved to another team and everthing was great but other staff and other people always put me into difficult circumstances, asking me to do things that were very painful and risky, i.e, move a Foster Child's stuff, including a huge TV, full fish tank and tons of other stuff, from a flat up 2 fights of stairs!!!. I had an operation and I am OKish now but, my point being, if everywhere was more  user friendly, people with disabilities would be a little bit more equal!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS