Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jam jars. If there are un branded is it legal to reuse to sell?  (Read 3787 times)

MumaJ

• Joined Apr 2013
I want to help the enviroent and my pocket. Is it ok to just recycle any old jars?

I'd just new lids. And jars that didn't have brand names or logos embossed on it.

Tia x

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Jam jars. If there are un branded is it legal to reuse to sell?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 01:17:53 pm »
As far as I know there is no reason why not as long as what you are selling is 'as described' and the quantity (weight) is as listed on the label. i.e. if someone thinks they are getting 500g of Jam it must be 500g not 475g

They will of course need to be cleansed and sterilised in accordance with Food hygiene regulations.

I just wonder if there could possibly be issues with lids that were not specifically made for those jars not sealing correctly?

MumaJ

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:56:33 pm »
I would be creating new labels. Good point about the weight!

Well I assumed that there would only be a few lid sizes. Maybe I need to look in to that or another decent sealing position. Thanks

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 03:01:27 pm »
Could you seal with plastic discs and perhaps a gingham cloth cover?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

the great composto

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:05:59 pm »
I am not sure its all about the brand of the jar or the safety of the seal - there is EU legislation that governs the safe packaging of materials to be sold for consumption.

See the WI sites regarding this because it initially caused a great stir that you couldnt re-use jam jars under the legislation.

And..................  there is always a possibility of glass shards in a damaged resuable jar  :innocent:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 03:41:30 pm »
There seems to be heavy emphasis on making jams/chutneys for charity though  :-\
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS