Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Salamis and flies  (Read 3470 times)

Geraint

• Joined Oct 2009
Salamis and flies
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:20:49 am »
Hi everyone
It's been awhile since my last post and the salamis have come on well and taste very nice imho  ;D
They are still hanging in the garage but now the weather is warming up and I have noticed a few flies around in the garden would it be a good idea to cover them up somehow?
Also does anyone make salami through the spring and summer months or is it too warm?
Look forward to your thoughts..
Regards
Geraint

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Salamis and flies
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 04:45:48 pm »
It's cured meat so I don't know if flies would be interested but you could protect the salami's with a cage covered mesh or linen to be on the safe side.

We don't cure meat during the warmer months other than bacon (which stays in the fridge) because they're dried in the loft, which gets too warm when (if) the sun comes out in spring.

Geraint

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:29:14 pm »
Hi Eve
Thanks for your reply, I did think it'd be too warm in the summer,  I guess the traditional time to make air cured porky delights is the autumn, so I'll have t put the air-dried Ham on hold until later in the year?
I'm on to making a cage just in case and I'll post a picture of the salami safe when I've finished.
They're too tasty for the flies  :yum:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 08:52:13 pm »
We do ours in jan/Feb and have a wire mesh "cheese safe" that we hang them in ( when the saucisson is eaten the cheese goes in). We made too many this year and hung them from an A frame clothes airer ( the sort that can stand in a bath). We then wrapped it in white window net and used clothes pegs to seal it up.   
Both have salami and chorizo in and stand in our north facing cool room. 25 degrees here yesterday and soddin flies everywhere.
We hang RED TOP FLY CATCHERS around the outside of the house and barns. Worth getting as the attract the females and each of them can lay many many thousands in good conditions. So catch the females and the battle is won.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Geraint

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 09:34:14 pm »
Brill! Thanks Mak, more great tips.. I'll post a picture of my Mk1 homemade meat safe soon..

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:39:35 pm »
Yes, I'd leave the air dried ham until autumn unless you have a really cold north facing garage or cellar.
Have fun, Gerraint  :wave:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 10:37:26 am »
Same here, we always do them during the winter months.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS