Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The gentle art of gardening I don't think.  (Read 5491 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
The gentle art of gardening I don't think.
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:36:16 pm »
I spent 5 yes 5 hours strimming part of my garden yesterday where the lawn mower didn't reach. When the OH decided to break his head in March, he left a sit on mower with a flat tyre which also threw the grass cuttings  back onto the lawn, so I had to go out and buy a walk behind mower, and a year old lightweight strimmer (the others are brush cutters and too heavy to swing around in the garden) pouring out petrol so had to go out and buy an electric one which then had to have two extension leads fitted to it to reach. What makes me laugh is the fact that I have only done about a third of the garden and that leaves me another two thirds to do.
Where does the saying the gentle art of gardening come from, it's not in my garden.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: The gentle art of gardening I don't think.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 08:40:56 pm »
Oh forgot to say it's me that normally doe's the strimming, but I usually have tip top equipment.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:55:01 pm »
Oh well done, Kaz, but never mind OH will hopefully be back home soon and you can let him get on with the mowing!  That'll lighten the load a bit.  I've been lazy today - only potted up some plants I'd been given .  Hadn't time to dig up grass and plant out properly, that'll have to wait till I come home from France
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Taters

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:32:49 am »
I read Terry Walton's book, Life on a Hillside Allotment and as a result, I look upon mine like he does, his gymnasium !! ;D

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:51:23 pm »
I bet your hands were fizzing all evening after that - well done!

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 07:24:50 pm »
I know what you mean Kaz. Three years ago I took early retirement after 30 years of stress and anti social shifts. I was always a keen gardener so started doing odd gardening jobs for friends and family. Its now turned into a full time occupation for 9 months of the year which I love but gentle it is not!
Hope OH is on the mend.
JD

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 08:50:29 pm »
The joys of plants and animals! Saves money on a gym membership!!!  :P  :pig: :spud:

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 01:23:42 pm »
Yes - but how do you get other people to pay and join in with the fun - instead of taking out stuffy gym memberships ??? ??? ???

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

hhheeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllppppppppp
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 01:41:29 pm »
Im unsure on that one snoopy ??? ??? ??? Alotments maybe?
All this  :pig: keeping ive started i mite just be fit enough to do the rotavating myself next sping?? lol

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 10:23:58 pm »
here here!!!!!
these people must have their own gardeners!!!
Langdon ;)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 07:29:43 pm »
They keep me in employment!!! ;D ;D

A friend of mine had a garden party where everyone invited had to do some gardening before having a BBQ.  The result was the garden getting stripped bare of plants!!!

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 10:12:54 pm »
maybe a gentle art if you sit in an armchair.. not if you are one of these gardeners.. i got 3 and half acres to maintain... lawns trees veg and fruit... certainly not gentle and there is LOADS to do in the winter ::) ::) :chook:

sandy

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 10:57:00 pm »
It is fun planting stuff and seeing it grow!!, I think of it like pressents that develope into mind blowing things....nothing bette!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS