Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Veg  (Read 4117 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Veg
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:51:41 pm »
I decided to check out the veg that was still in the garden to see if anything had survied all the snow. I dug up parsnips in good condition and also got brussel sprouts, quite enjoyed myself having a tidy up while the rain was off :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Veg
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:30:27 pm »
I must get out in ours and do teh same. Maybe tomorrow.

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:33:38 pm »
Something ate all our parsnips  >:( Not sure what, though! Our garden is in such a sorry state, I really need to do something about it. I just wish there was an easy way to dig mud!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 11:26:42 am »
Most tatties surprisingly did well surviving the frost in the large containers, I've not checked the turnips and carrots yet. Good that I can feed them to the ever hungry hens if needed. I'll leave to frosted chards, they were absolutely brilliant last year and might well come back.  :&>

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 10:21:49 pm »
well done ;)
we have leeks that are still in!
dont know when to pull them!
i guess whenever we fancy leek soup.
im hoping to get on with the digging, if this weather lets me!!
hope you have a bumper crop this growing season ;) :farmer:
Langdon ;)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 10:43:03 pm »
I did a bit of digging again today  :o  how unfit am I?? Same question every spring!
I found 3 leeks as well and will leave them as they are not that big. Just watch for evidence of flowering stems appearing, then it's a  bit late to harvest ;D
Put the first seeds in a tray - lettuce and they are already coming up after only a week - SPRING!  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 11:00:13 pm »
I'm a total duffer with growing stuff - have had very little success.  Sandy wasn't interested; John was but did it all himself. Can you transplant lettuce into the ground outdoors and if so when do you do it?  Where do you keep them meantime, Kerstin?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 09:35:33 am »
Lettuce likes to germinate in cool conditions. Once they are big enough I'll pot them and they will be big enough to transplant out in March. They are kept in an unheated caravan just now, my coldframe, lol. I hope it's no too cold in there, as we had frost again last night, but I hope for the best...I forgot to sow the broad beans in autumn, so these will be next.. :&>

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 03:27:12 pm »
Still getting leeks and carrots, all my greens have beeen ravaged by birds, got a nice surprise when i found my spinach and chard is starting to come through again. Feeling a bit guilty that people are hard at it and i've only just started tidying, think it must be colder here than most places, well thats my excuse?

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 02:51:06 pm »
if someone want to help me with my garden you can all come lol

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 05:09:55 pm »
nice to read a post from you, Lynz, you are all well?

re garden - same here, always... ;D

1st lot of hardy peas in, forgotten garlic transplanted, it's a start!  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS