Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dectomax and heptavac  (Read 4243 times)

Advertisement

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
dectomax and heptavac
« on: January 14, 2013, 06:34:52 pm »
Newbee here, can someone explain the following dectomax and heptavac? when do I us,e I have ewes in lamb, they were all wormed in October. Do I use it with my other sheep? I have sent droppings away to check the state of my sheep and ground. Sorry to sound daft but we all have to learn :thinking:
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
Re: dectomax and heptavac
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 07:26:58 pm »
heptavac the pregnant ewes a few weeks before lambing so they pass on the immunity to the lambs. It says on the bottle exactly how many weeks, I forget. When a sheep gets its first heptavac it needs 2 doses then after thet its an annual top up.

Dectomax kills lice and scab and also works as a wormer. I dont use it if  I dont think my sheep are likely to get lice or scab

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:35:13 pm »
Dectomax is an injectable it is mostly used in cases of sheep scab either to prevent in the case of new sheep coming on to the holding,or to treat an outbreak, it also treats worms but straight wormers are cheaper .  Heptavac  is used to prevent clostridial bugs , Heptavac P is the same plus pneumonia, two initial injections 4-6wks apart then an annual booster ,again injectable.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:58:27 pm »
My ewes need their first annual booster of Heptavac P at some point this year - is it supposed to be at 12 months old, or 12 months after their initial (or 2nd) dose?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:17:11 pm »
Within 12 months of the initial  2nd injection, normally done pre lambing every year

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:04:16 pm »
Thank you
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:32:19 pm »
Thanks shep  :thumbsup: (and sorry for jumping on your post, Chris  ;) )

Our girls will not be put to a tup until later this year so presumably I should do them early this year so that their next 12 month booster coincides with pre-lambing time next year? We are also newbies and didn't fancy lambing in our first year of sheep-keeping!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS