Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why are my dogs so needy of me?  (Read 18992 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Why are my dogs so needy of me?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 10:03:22 pm »
I can't imagine getting our three to sit and stay and then call them  individually.  They all answer to Daisy, Victor, Pirate or Dog.  When my OH goes downstairs in the mornings, they stay in their beds until he starts to feed them.  When I go down they cluster at the gate to say hello.  They will go back to their beds when told though.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 10:19:53 pm »
I forgot to try today but they should do fingers crossed....whoops.  Superstition :innocent:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 11:05:05 pm »
One of my girls is hyper just now - haven't got to the root of why as yet, but decided to go back to my old training regime.  They now all have to sit and stay in the kitchen while I open the back door then the conservatory one, put on my shoes, and jacket, then I call them through one by one by name varying which one goes first each time so they don't get into a routine.  It seems to be working, Freckles is much calmer today.

I don't know what has happened since I moved down here but I used to take all five out into my fields, let them run as much as they wanted, blew a stop whistle and all five would go flat wherever they were.  I have got very lazy! :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 07:37:27 am »
I know, you have to be persistent.......last night Steve did not shut them in and Rohan was crying and scratching at the window again so he went out and put her back in with the others.....I am sure it's hormones...the sooner she is spayed the better.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 08:19:23 am »

I don't know what has happened since I moved down here but I used to take all five out into my fields, let them run as much as they wanted, blew a stop whistle and all five would go flat wherever they were.  I have got very lazy! :-[
Annie, I only have one dog but I wish I could get him to do that. Any suggestions on how to start?
Sandy, sorry for hijacking your thread
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 08:28:37 am »
No problem, thats what I like, :wave: I do it all the time, ours will sit and stay but again, ROhan did not want to when I went training, the stud dogs owner recognised she wanted to be with me.......she does mix with other dogs and is fine but one main point is she has never left her mum or me!! :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 09:30:36 am »
Reading this with interest as Murphy is now so clingy to me, its causing issues! If OH tries to take him downstairs and I'm upstairs, he digs his feet in and won't follow. If I'm cooking, he wants to lie on my feet but when I walk to the fridge in the utility room he follows me there and lies on my feet again!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 09:38:58 am »
Pups are more like that but, I recon he will end up like Rohan, you are his pack leader/mummy    ours are fine with Steve on his own but when I am around and he calls them, they run to me, not Islay the oldest but the 2, 3 year olds, they see me as there mum whereas I worked at times when we had Islay. I think they need some time alone, the other thing is if you do not leave them for short periods for a start, they get seperation anxiety, I hope ours don't but I did have a little dog that used to howel if I was out!!
I have just been cleaning the small yard, somthing thats been missed a bit over the holiday, there is scrapped paint all over the place where Rohan has been scraping the window sills, nothing to do with how much excersie at all as we have long walks and yesterday she ran around a lot with her brother and sister, I am trying to ignore her much more now, no interaction today, she was sitting outside the back door as well, the other 2 are fine.
So, too much interaction and being with the dog all the time can cause problems.....I need to get out more :innocent:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 09:45:42 am »
Its nice that they make you feel so special but very frustrating at the same time I bet!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 09:52:56 am »
Ahh, a bit like children, they cannot leave your side until they get to an age where they are confident.....Rohan spends a lot of time with her mum Islay on walks where as Rhum, does her own thing then walks with me!!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 10:16:00 am »
Sally, can you get Archie to do a 'Stay' at all?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 10:22:17 am »
He isn't great at it. He will do it sometimes but if there is something more interesting then that ALWAYS takes priority and to be honest most things are more interesting  :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 10:25:19 am »
He isn't great at it. He will do it sometimes but if there is something more interesting then that ALWAYS takes priority and to be honest most things are more interesting  :roflanim:

:roflanim:  Bless him.  He's still a pup, eh.

Do you have a good obedience class you can take him to?  My dogs have always absolutely loved doing obedience in class, much to my surprise that they liked being controlled in a hall rather than running around free outside, and (a) the trainers help you get any of the moves you are struggling with and (b) if the dog can do whatever it is there, in a hall with loads of other dogs to provide distractions, it can certainly do it at home.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 10:46:53 am »
Annie, I only have one dog but I wish I could get him to do that. Any suggestions on how to start?
Sandy, sorry for hijacking your thread
Sally
You start with the sit stay at heel, then the down stay also at heel, and gradually build up the distance.  I have always used a whistle for training but you need the voice and hand signals established first and add in the whistle when that is sorted.
My GWP was always good at the down and she had the furthest to drop, but the others saw her as pack leader and wouldn't come forward if she was on a  down. That's my problem now she is gone I have to be pack leader and Freckles is having difficulty accepting that she isn't the chosen one.  My difficulty is being consistent with her as she's the only one of the three I have left that I bred.
John used to be able to take our 8 dogs out in the field and control them all by name and hand signals, I don't have that knack unfortunately. :gloomy:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 11:22:07 am »
Annie, Archie has a problem with down. He just doesn't understand what we mean, despite trying to train him in the way we were taught when he had his few lessons.
Sally, after reading your post I have been googling and found a dog class about 20 mins away that starts next Tuesday evening. They also do agility with a class that is slightly nearer. I will try the obedience first but then, if my poor ankle can manage it, might give the agility class a go a bit later. I think Archie would love that.
thanks to you both
Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS